Your Blackstone griddle is built to last, and designed to withstand cold winters and blazing summers. But how do you store it in the off-season?
The Blackstone All-Season Griddle is built to withstand the elements. It can be used at temperatures ranging from -20F to 500F, features a drip tray that can be used with any open flame or charcoal grill, and has a powder-coated cast aluminum base to stand up to the elements.
You can store your Blackstone Griddle outside… However, if you do decide to store your griddle outside, there are some precautions that you should take.
- If storing it outside, try to store it out of the rain if possible. Therefore, on your patio, deck, and under some overhead cover.
- Before storing it you want to put a light coat of oil on it to keep it from rusting.
- If you store it outside, buy the hardcover and softcover as well.
Below you will see the reasons why these simple steps are important…
|Recommended reading: Can You Use A Knife On A Blackstone Griddle? A Surprising Answer
What Are The Good Ways To Store A Blackstone Griddle?
The Blackstone griddle is a high-quality, heavy-duty griddle that is great for cooking delicious breakfast foods or burgers and steaks for dinner.
If you’re in the market for a new griddle, and you’re a person who really enjoys cooking, then you are probably going to want to keep it with you on all of your camping trips. (Blackstone griddles can be quite bulky, after all.)
While this is a cornucopia of information on how to store your griddle, there is one question that you may be left with: where do I actually store it?
I decided to check what customers have to say about where they are stopping their Blackstone griddles. So let’s look at comments for different griddles:
|Recommended reading: Blackstone Table Top Grill: Good Portable Grill For Tailgating
Where To Store The Blackstone 36-Inch Griddle
As you will see from the comments below the most popular place to store the 36-inch Blackstone is in the garage. Other places people are storing it are on decks, patios, carports, and outdoors.
- Storing it in the garage t ough winter. Got a hardcover, softcover, and some accessories.
- I do live in a very humid and rainy environment, so I am keeping it stored in my garage (the propane bottle is kept outside!!) to keep it out of the elements.
- Would recommend an aluminum cover if it will be stored outdoors.
- Blackstone 1131 Griddle/Grill Carry Bag, 36-Inch (great if you plan on taking it camping or just need to store it in the offseason)
- I keep mine inside a shop/garage so I have not had to worry about the weather or anything like that.
- We also cover our griddle when not in use and keep it under our patio away from direct rain.
- I would recommend getting a good hardcover along with a soft cover if you plan to keep this outside where it will rain.
- PLEASE BUY AND USE THE COVER if you aren’t keeping this indoors. Humidity will ruin the metal griddle cooktop.
- We keep it on our deck and have had no issues with rust. I do cover the cooking surface with plastic.
- This griddle is awesome!!!! It is a great addition to any outdoor kitchen. Just be aware that you’ll need to keep it covered to prevent rusting.
- I keep it under a carport so it doesn’t get direct rain, but I still try to put the cover on when it does rain since it’s an open carport some rain still gets on it.
- I’ve typically had mine under a covered section of my deck so I can’t say one way or the other since I try to keep it out of the rain.
|Recommended reading: Is Blackstone A Good Brand? (Outdoor Grills And Griddles)
Where To Store The Blackstone Table Top Grill – 17 Inch
The compact 17-inch size of this grill makes it much easier to store and as you will see from the comments below the most popular place to store this Blackstone is in RVs and Campers.
They all recommend purchasing the carry bag to store this griddle and for easy transport.
- I store it in the shed.
- Stores nicely in the RV compartment.
- Go ahead and get the cover/carrying case–it makes storing and moving it easier.
- Stores in the basement of our 5th wheel.
- Compact design, stored in a carry bag.
- Perfect for any RV, stores well, and is very easy to use.
- Nice grill! Great size for storing in the motor home.
- It works so well and is easy to clean up and lightweight, stored in the outside door of my camper.
- Perfect grill to store and take with you in the camper on a camping trip.
- It works great and stores well in my camper when not used.
- Great for breakfast, easy to clean up, and small enough to store in your RV.
- Before storing it you want to put a light coat of oil on it to keep it from rusting and that’s it.
- Easily stores in my RV. Set up is quick. The grill heats up fast.
|Recommended reading: Can You Use Blackstone Griddle Indoors? (Other Propane Grills?)
Will A Blackstone Griddle Rust?
The griddle is made of heavy-duty cast iron, which makes it great for searing and frying, as well as retaining heat—which is why it’s such an ideal summertime tool.
But the same qualities that make the griddle great also make it rust.
If you use your griddle on a regular basis you won’t face any real issues with rust. However, if you only pull it out once in a while or leave it out in the weather uncovered then rust will be an issue.
All grills and griddles are susceptible to rust because they are made of metal or steel components.
|Recommended reading: Can You Use A Cast Iron Skillet On A Blackstone Griddle? (& Why)
How To Prevent Blackstone Griddle Rust?
As they say, prevention is better than cure. This is why, if you are planning to use your griddle, you are advised to take steps to prevent it from rusting.
The best thing you can do is invest in a cover. The Blackstone Griddle is one of the most affordable large griddles on the market, so investing in a solid cover for it makes SO much sense.
You might think you are saving money by not getting a cover, but I can guarantee your grill will look worse as you use it over time without one!
It doesn’t take much effort to keep your griddle free of rust.
- After cooking… Simply wipe it down and clean it with a paper towel, then apply a layer of cooking oil (3-4 tablespoons is enough), and you’re done.
- Store your griddle in a dry cool area. Your garage or shed is perfect. Anywhere well-ventilated is fine.
- Use a cover as already mentioned. Blackstone has a heavy-duty canvas cover that is ideal for the job and protects against humidity. If you are storing the griddle outside invest in the hardcover as well.
- If in long-term storage (such as winter) just check it every month or so to make sure there is no rust. If a little rust is appearing just clean it down and add oil again.
|Recommended reading: Can You Use Butter On A Blackstone Griddle? (Or Any Griddle)
Is It Possible to Recover a Rusty Griddle?
If you have a rusted cast iron griddle then the answer is yes, it is possible to recover the surface and restore your griddle to its original condition.
In fact, there is a video on the Blackstone Youtube Channel that shows you how. You can watch it below also…
|Recommended reading: Can You Use Aluminum Foil On A Blackstone Griddle?
Quick Blackstone Griddle Facts:
- A Blackstone Griddle is a flat-top cooking device typically used for outdoor cooking.
- It is made of a thick, cold-rolled steel plate and is designed to withstand high temperatures.
- Blackstone Griddles are typically powered by propane gas and can reach temperatures up to 500°F.
- The griddle surface is non-stick and easy to clean.
- It is important to store the Blackstone Griddle in a dry, covered location when not in use.
- If stored outside, the griddle should be covered with a waterproof griddle cover to protect it from the elements.
- The griddle should also be stored on a flat, level surface to prevent warping of the griddle surface.
- If stored outside, the griddle should be checked regularly for rust or corrosion.
- The griddle should be wiped down with a damp cloth after each use to prevent the buildup of food residue.
How long will the griddle last if stored outside?
The answer to this question depends on a variety of factors, including the quality of the griddle, the type of material it is made of, the climate in which it is stored, and the amount of care and maintenance it receives. In general, griddles made of higher-quality materials and stored in a dry, sheltered area will last longer than those made of lower-quality materials and stored outside.
How often will the griddle need to be seasoned if stored outside?
For cast iron griddles, it is recommended that they be seasoned at least once a year, and more often if they are stored in a humid or salty environment.
What is the best way to clean the griddle if it is stored outside?
The best way to clean a griddle stored outside is to first remove any debris or food particles that may have accumulated on the surface. This can be done by scraping off any food particles with a spatula or brush. Then, use a mild detergent and warm water to scrub the surface of the griddle. If you are using a cast iron griddle, use a steel wool pad to scrub the surface.
How often should the griddle be used if it is stored outside?
If your griddle is stored outside, it is important to use it regularly to avoid any potential damage from the elements. Depending on the type of griddle and the weather conditions, you should use it at least once a month. If you live in an area with harsh weather conditions, such as extreme cold or extreme heat, snow, winds, dust, and moisture, you should use your griddle more frequently.
What are the consequences of storing the griddle outside?
The consequences of storing a griddle outside can be quite serious. First and foremost, the griddle is likely to be exposed to the elements, which can cause rust and corrosion. This can lead to a decrease in the griddle’s performance, as well as a decrease in its lifespan. Additionally, the griddle may be exposed to pests, such as rodents and insects, which can damage the griddle and make it unsafe to use.
In summary, you can store your Blackstone griddle outside and many people do so, especially on decks and patios.
It will be vulnerable to the elements, so it’s crucial to invest in a good cover for protection if you are not using it on a regular basis. Uncover it, check for rust, and give it another layer of oil.
It is totally worth the small effort to take care of your Blackstone because with a Blackstone griddle, you can make the most of your outdoor cooking space by replacing your need for multiple pieces of cookware with a single versatile unit.
No matter what you want to cook, you can do it on your Blackstone.
You may also be interested in… Is MFStudio A Good Brand? (Patio Furniture With Comfort & Style)