Electric Griddles – YES… Propane Griddles – No!
Searing, grilling, and all the other backyard cookouts are great, but what about when it’s raining or too cold outside? Even playing with a grill fork in your hand can be tough when the weather is less than ideal. So what do you do? Take your cooking indoors?
Blackstone is one of the best outdoor griddle brands you can buy but what happens if you want to use them indoors?
No. All propane griddles, including the tabletop models, are only for outdoor use. They are not meant for indoor use and it is very dangerous to do so. The only exception is the Blackstone indoor griddle from their e-Series griddles.
The Blackstone indoor griddle features a large cooking surface that is perfect for cooking all kinds of foods including eggs, bacon, sausage, burgers, chicken breasts, steaks, and more. It has a built-in grease tray that makes it easy to clean up after use.
- The Blackstone indoor griddle from their e-Series griddles is an awesome addition to any home.
- This electric griddle comes with a top-quality commercial-grade ceramic coating and adjustable temperature controls.
- It has a hefty 17-inch cooking surface that is perfect for cooking eggs, pancakes, and meats.
- The best part about this electric griddle is that you can use it inside your home or even in a small apartment.
- The large cooking surface area makes it easy to cook for the whole family without worrying about burning your food or having to deal with grease.
- It’s also great for small gatherings as well as big parties where you need to cook lots of food in a short amount of time.
So ONLY the E-Series should be used inside. Therefore electric griddles are fine for indoor use and you should never use propane griddles indoors.
Why Can’t I Use Blackstone Propane Griddles Indoors?
Not designed for indoor or commercial use. Blackstone propane griddles are intended for use only outdoors, on a patio, porch, or balcony of a residential dwelling.
Who Says I Can’t Use the Blackstone Griddle Indoors?
Well… they do actually! You can read what Blackstone says here.
And here is what they say:
Please keep all griddles in use outdoors and 10 feet away from any structure, combustible material, or other gas cylinders.
5 Reasons Why You Can Not Use Blackstone Propane Griddles Indoors
- The griddle is not built for indoor use. It’s a portable griddle, after all. The griddle is built to be used outdoors, such as in the backyard or when camping out in the woods.
- It uses propane gas. Propane can be dangerous indoors, especially if the ventilation is poor. If you have never used propane before, I suggest you read up on how to use it properly and safely.
- Produces carbon monoxide while running, which can be deadly when inhaled in large doses. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have any odor, so you won’t know if there is too much of it in your house until it’s too late.
- This griddle can produce a lot of smoke during use, especially if the meat or food being cooked has a lot of grease and fat on them. The heat from the griddle will cause the grease to drip and catch fire — producing smoke in the process — so make sure to clean your griddle before using it each time!
- Grease Splatter. When you cook with a griddle, it produces grease splatter that can get all over your kitchen walls, cabinets, appliances, and dishes. This could ruin your countertops as well as make your kitchen extremely dirty. Cleaning up grease after using a griddle can be quite difficult to do indoors since
Look, I’m a huge fan of Blackstone and highly recommend all of the griddles for outdoor use as you can see from these articles:
- Is A Blackstone Griddle Any Good And Is It Worth The Money
- Is Blackstone A Good Brand For Outdoor Grills And Griddles
- The Blackstone Tabletop Gas Griddle Is Ideal For Family Cooking
However, the simple fact of the matter is that some griddles are just simply not approved for indoor use. Griddles have an open flame below them while in use, so they can be used safely outdoors only. If you are looking for an indoor grill you can buy online have a read of this article: Best Automatic Indoor Grill Easily Goes To The T-Fal OptiGrill
Why It Isn’t Safe To Use A Propane Griddle Indoors?
If you’re a serious cook who cooks outdoors, a propane griddle can be a great choice for foods like pancakes or grilled cheese. Unfortunately, some people are under the impression that they can safely use a propane grill indoors. (They’re wrong.)
It is true that propane griddles use the same propane canisters as camp stoves and portable grills, but their griddles are designed for use outdoors only.
A propane griddle produces heat on all four sides of its platform, which is where most of the heat and over-expanded moisture comes from. By contrast, a griddle that uses electricity or natural gas only produces heat on the top surface.
There’s little insulation between you and the propane, and indoor air is far too flammable to risk.
And if that doesn’t scare you Prop 65 Warning disclaimers are now mandatory in California for any company selling products using this fuel. You can read the full warning here: https://www.p65warnings.ca.gov/
Fuels used in liquefied propane gas appliances, and the products of combustion of such fuels, can expose you to chemicals including benzene, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and cause birth defects or other reproductive harm.
So why would you want to risk using it indoors?
You May Be Confused Because You See Similar Griddles Used Indoors At Restaurants:
You’ve likely seen barbeque griddles at restaurants, smooth stainless-steel griddles with lava rocks, or ceramic tubes to evenly distribute heat underneath.
These griddles are made of thick metal and can often be found outside the restaurant smoking away on a propane tank. But it’s not safe to cook inside your home using a propane grill.
Also, these places are designed with ventilation and fireproof hazard reductions that far outway what any home would have.
Do Propane Grills Give Off Carbon Monoxide?
Another reason to only use Blackstone griddles outdoors is that propane grills give off carbon monoxide (CO), an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that is dangerous.
This doesn’t just apply to Blackstone but all propane griddles. How much CO is produced depends on the type of grill and how you use it.
Propane grills are incredibly popular, and for good reason: they’re a quick and easy way to cook a meal, they’re available at a wide range of prices, and they’re simple to use.
But there’s one thing you should know before you get one: propane grills can give off carbon monoxide.
As you know, carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless byproduct of the incomplete combustion of carbon.
It’s also a deadly gas, and it can build up in homes or cars that have running combustion engines (like a propane grill) if they’re not ventilated properly.
Should I Be Afraid To Use A Propane Grill?
What we have covered so far sounds like propane is incredibly dangerous and we should never grill with it.
And indeed. some people are afraid that propane grills give off carbon monoxide. They are right to be concerned, but it’s important to know that the amount of carbon monoxide that comes from a propane grill is not as bad as it sounds.
I want you to be afraid of using them indoors but outdoors there is no issue!
Instead of running away from your grill, you should be running to it. Propane is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that has the potential to cause serious harm when it is breathed in. So use them OUTDOORS.
All propane grills give off carbon monoxide (CO), although at such a low level that it is not considered harmful.
Propane tanks are vented to the outside and the grill itself is properly designed so that no CO can enter the food or food preparation area.
As a propane grill user, you should be aware of the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning, but you should never be afraid of your grill.
Can I Use My Blackstone Griddle In My Garage?
It really depends on the size, ventilation of your garage, and how messy it is. Do you have dangerous materials, chemicals, gas, etc close by? How far away can you place it from the walls? And so on…
So if you leave the garage door open and place it close to that door in most cases you should be fine. But you do need to be aware of the dangers of a confined space and you are cooking with an open flame so you need to be well away from other flammable materials and goods.
You can use the Blackstone griddle on patios, decks, under pergolas, and anywhere outdoors and away from dangerous goods.
Further reading: Best Water Filter Pitcher For Hard Water (For Town Or Well Water), Narrow Vertical Dresser Storage Tower (10 Things To Look For In A Narrow Dresser), and Is Baseus A Good Brand? (Chargers, Hubs, Ear Buds, Lighting)
In summary, ONLY use Blackstone Griddles outdoors.
If you want to use a griddle indoors you can only use an electric griddle – do not use propane griddles indoors.
Plus there is no need to. Why risk your own health, your family’s health, or even your pet’s health by using a propane griddle indoors. It’s just crazy.
Not to mention the physical damage you can cause as well.
It is so cheap and easy to buy an indoor electric grill for this purpose. Leave your Blackstone for outdoor use in better weather and use an electric griddle for all of your indoor cooking during winter.
You may also be interested in… 7 Reasons Why The Cuisinart 5-in-1 Griddler Is An Awesome Cooker