Disclosure: We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Lego Is Not Just For Kids
Have you ever been looking for a product that is as versatile and durable as Lego but doesn’t have the Lego price tag? There are many Lego alternatives that offer similar building experiences.
Some of these products provide specialized pieces, such as wheels. Others offer a great variety in the size of the pieces and the types of connectors. Still, other products are designed to be compatible with Lego pieces.
Lego building bricks are great fun at any age, but there are other toys for adults and teens who like to build things. While these aren’t actually Lego compatible, they’re similar in concept.
So let’s start exploring some excellent Lego alternatives…
10 Lego Alternatives for Adults
Lego bricks are great, but they aren’t the only way to build. From large-scale modeling to tiny robotics, here are 10 ways to get your building fix as an adult that don’t involve any pesky interlocking plastic bricks.
1. Mega Bloks Probuilder – Black Pearl
Mega Bloks’ offerings have a similar look to Lego, and their ProBuilder range includes sets that are comparable in complexity to Lego Technic sets.
Some of the sets also have electronic components that can be powered with two AAA batteries (not included). The sets also include step-by-step assembly instructions and a storage tray.
Unlike Legos, Mega Bloks (Available at Amazon) don’t always click together perfectly. But they’re much cheaper than Lego bricks, so you can build bigger things without spending much money. There are lots of different sets available, ranging from small cars to full-size aircraft carriers and battleships.
K’Nex (Available at Amazon) is a construction toy similar to Lego that uses a unique system of rods and connectors. Unlike Lego, K’Nex isn’t limited to 2D, but the pieces can be used to construct fully functional models in three dimensions. K’Nex also has a larger variety of parts than Lego and is designed more for creating moving models — like roller coasters or robotic arms — rather than static structures.
- K’Nex is smaller and lighter than Lego – One of the main drawbacks of Lego is how heavy and big it is. If your child carries their toy box around with them, you might want to consider getting K’Nex instead. It’s easier to carry around and kids will have more fun playing with their toys if they can take them anywhere.
- K’Nex has fewer small pieces – If you have young children at home, make sure to keep an eye on those tiny pieces! K’Nex has fewer small pieces than Lego bricks, so it’s safer for younger kids and less likely to cause choking hazards.
- K’Nex is more flexible than Lego – K’Nex bricks don’t have a uniform shape as Lego does – they’re rounder and slightly bigger in size. This makes them more flexible and easier to put together.
- The pieces are sturdier – The pieces in K’Nex are thicker than Legos and more durable. I can’t tell you how many times we stepped on a Lego piece while barefoot!
- The pieces are easier to put together and take apart – In general, it’s easier to put together and take apart the pieces in K’Nex than Legos. When I built something with my daughter, she was able to fit the pieces together by herself without frustration; when it was time to take them apart, she could do that too without any problem.
- The pieces are cheaper – K’Nex has a variety of sets available at different prices, but it’s possible to get larger numbers of parts for much less than the equivalent number of Lego bricks. There are also many sets available at dollar stores, making this an affordable toy for everyone.
The 3Doodler (Available at Amazon) is a pen that extrudes plastic filament which cools almost immediately and can be used to create 3D structures by hand. The creative potential is enormous, and you can even use it to draw on paper by going off the edge of the page, creating free-floating doodles in midair.
Have you heard of the 3Doodler?
It’s the world’s first 3D printing pen. The 3Doodler has been getting rave reviews from adults who love it for its artistic uses and for those who are interested in making their own replacement parts for home appliances. But it’s also becoming a popular toy for children.
The 3Doodler is basically a pen that extrudes plastic, which quickly hardens, letting you draw three-dimensional objects. The basic process is much like drawing with a glue gun.
- Incredible Art – The 3Doodler allows users to draw up instead of just drawing on a surface, allowing for incredible art pieces that can hang on walls or stand on desks.
- Ease of use – The 3Doodler is very easy to use and comes with a comprehensive set of tools and accessories. It also comes pre-loaded with plastic so you can start creating right out of the box!
- It teaches basic geometry – With the 3Doodler Start, kids can create by drawing in the air. Using just plastic filament, they can make simple shapes or complex structures. When kids learn how to make right angles and other shapes with the pen, they’re learning more than just art — they’re learning geometry too.
- It encourages creativity – Legos offer plenty of opportunities for creativity and artistic expression. The 3Doodler Start takes this to a whole new level, allowing kids to make objects that are three-dimensional rather than flat. It also encourages them to experiment with drawing in different ways and try out their own creative ideas.
- It’s safe for children – The 3Doodler Start is designed especially for children as young as six years old. The pen doesn’t get hot, so there’s no risk of burns or fires, and it features special safety features like auto shut-off.
4. Lincoln Logs
Lincoln Logs (Available at Amazon) is an old classic that’s been around since 1916 — they’re basically wooden logs with notches, that fit together like Lego bricks. They have a more rustic look than Lego, and you can build a ton of different things with them.
When I was a kid, it was all about making a log cabin, but we didn’t have much imagination back then. The best part is that they are super cheap (at least compared to Lego)
Lincoln Logs are made from natural pine and maple wood, or you can get the nostalgic Lincoln Logs Collector’s Edition Tin. Each set also comes with a roof, windows, and doors to help bring your creations to life.
The main downside is that these aren’t compatible with Lego bricks, and you can’t build as much as you could with Lego. The upside is that these come in a pretty wooden box, making them a lot more attractive than the plastic Lego brick tubs.
If you want a building set that’s even more versatile than LEGO, check out Playstix (Available at Amazon). These are essentially plastic Tinkertoys on steroids: long sticks with connectors at either end that can be used in various ways to create elaborate structures. You can even attach wheels or pulleys to your creations so they actually move! The hard part is getting them apart again.
- You can build really big models – Playstix building blocks come in different sizes, from small rods and blocks to very large ones that allow you to build more impressive structures. There’s nothing like seeing a child’s eyes light up when you show them what they can make with a toy.
- Playstix is easy to use – With its simple click-and-lock design, Playstix is much easier to use than Lego bricks. This makes it an excellent choice for younger kids. It also allows older children to concentrate on their creations instead of struggling with the toy itself.
- It comes with cool extras – One of the best things about Playstix is the fact that it comes with a booklet that teaches children how to create different animals or objects using these colorful pieces. It’s a great way to introduce them to learning how to make their own creations.
Magformers are magnetic building blocks that can be connected and arranged to build a variety of things, from simple structures to more complex designs. They are sturdy, easy to use, and unlike LEGOs won’t hurt your feet when you step on them in the middle of the night while getting a glass of water.
Designs and Building Experience.
Magformers have an edge over lego because of the shapes and designs that you can build with them. The wide variety of shapes and forms (from a simple cube to a complex space shuttle) can be built easily with the ‘clicking’ mechanism, which makes the building experience more exciting than ever. The unique design of Magformers inspires kids to build their own world by adding windows, doors, wheels, and even roofs!
Most importantly, Magformers are much safer than Lego blocks because they are made of BPA-free plastic and safe for kids aged 3 years old and above to play with. The soft rounded edges give off no sharpness and the clicking mechanism is simple enough for kids to enjoy building their own creations.
Portability and Storage.
Each Magformer set comes in its own storage box (with a magnetic lid) which makes it easier to keep track of pieces while on the go! The magnetic lid ensures all pieces stay in place during transportation, making it easy for parents to pack up their child’s toy without having to worry about lost pieces.
Magformers inspire kids to create 2D and 3D structures while teaching them geometry, logic, and math skills.
Nanoblocks (Available at Amazon) is a miniature building toy, similar to Lego, that allows you to create incredibly detailed objects such as animals and buildings. Each block is about a quarter the size of a normal Lego block, which gives them a greater capacity for detail. The smaller pieces make it ideal for anyone who thinks Lego is too chunky and messy-looking.
- It’s smaller – The smallest Nanoblock piece measures 4 x 4 mm, which is 10 times smaller than the smallest Lego piece. This means you can make much more detailed models with Nanoblock than with Lego. For example, you can easily make small animals like cats and dogs, but it’s very hard to do that with Lego.
- It’s compatible with Lego – Although the pieces are smaller than Legos, the studs still fit neatly into the holes of regular Lego pieces so you can mix them together easily. You can also use Nanoblock pieces to fill in gaps on your Lego models for a neater look.
- It’s cheaper than Lego – It actually costs less per piece than Lego so it’s great value for money if you need lots of small bricks for your project to look more detailed and realistic.
- It’s fun – The small blocks allow children to build more complex structures than they would with Lego, this means they get hours of fun out of a single model kit.
Meccano (Available at Amazon) is a similar activity and construction toy that uses metal strips, girders, and plates rather than plastic bricks. The Meccano system was patented just one year after Lego, and like Lego it allows you to build working machines like cranes, trucks, and cars.
Meccano is cheaper than Lego
Lego sets can be expensive, and if you’re not careful about what you buy, your money could easily be wasted on a set that your kids don’t enjoy. Meccano on the other hand is generally around 50% cheaper than Lego.
The parts are more durable than Lego
I’ve found that the plastic parts of my Meccano sets are a lot sturdier and more durable than the plastic parts of my old Lego Technic sets. If you drop them on a hard surface they will probably crack or break (and they won’t withstand being crushed by someone standing on them), but I’ve found them to be less likely to suffer from wear and tear over
Meccano is a very flexible building toy. The parts can be assembled in almost any way imaginable. It is said that there are over 100 million different ways to assemble 10 pieces of Meccano! This makes it a more versatile building toy than Lego, which has strict designs for each set.
Ease of use
Some people find assembling Lego sets difficult and frustrating, due to the size of the pieces, and their complex shapes. The small size of the pieces can also make it difficult for small children to use them safely. With Meccano pieces being larger and simpler in shape, they are much easier to put together and dismantle as necessary.
Kre-O (Available at Amazon) is another brand of plastic construction toy similar to Lego blocks. It was developed as a joint project between Hasbro and Korean toy manufacturer Oxford and is sold under both brands. Kre-O resembles Lego, but has an important difference: it includes articulated figures (such as Transformers characters) which come with special pieces so they can be transformed into vehicles or robots — just like in the movies.
This adds an extra dimension to Kre-O’s building toys and is one reason why the brand has become popular among children who enjoy playing with Transformers toys.
- Price: Kre-O is cheaper than Lego, and the pieces are more durable and work better than those of Mega Bloks.
- Availability: Kre-O is sold in stores like Walmart, Target, Toys R Us, Amazon, Kmart, and many other locations nationwide.
- Variety: Kre-O has a variety of different sets to choose from that include various themes such as Transformers or G.I Joe.
- Quality: Kre-O is of higher quality than Mega Bloks which are highly known for their low quality especially when it comes to parts breaking apart easily due to the poor design quality of the pieces.
- Creativity: Kre-O can be used with other major brands like Lego bricks so you’re not stuck in one particular brand
Playmags (Available at Amazon) are similar to Lego, except the pieces have magnets in them which allow you to lock pieces together better. This makes it easier for you to build objects without the need for glue or tape. There are also a variety of different kits available for Playmags, allowing you to build all sorts of vehicles, animals, and buildings that you might not be able to create using regular Lego bricks.
What makes Playmags such a great alternative to Lego?
Stronger magnets – The magnets used by Playmags are much stronger than those used by Lego. The magnets can hold up to thirty pounds, which is much more than any other magnetic building blocks in the market. Kids can play with these blocks without worrying about them falling apart.
Durable pieces – The pieces are made of non-toxic ABS plastic that is virtually indestructible. They’re also resistant to wear and tear and can withstand intense abuse from kids. This means that your kids can play with these blocks over and over again without breaking or damaging them.
In summary, Lego is the name that all people associated with building blocks. It is a trademarked name but has come to be used as a generic term, like Kleenex or Xerox. However, there are many different brands of interlocking plastic bricks that are compatible with Lego, and some may even be better than the original.
These toys are popular among parents and children because they encourage creativity and problem-solving.
If the price of official Lego sets is too high for your budget, there are a number of different companies that make building blocks that are compatible with Lego bricks.
You may also be interested in… Is Vtech A Good Brand? (Learning Toys That Are Fun To Play)