Are Your Boxer Briefs Riding Up?
Boxers are made to fit loosely, but this often causes them to bunch up and ride up the thigh…. Boxer briefs have a shorter inseam which helps keep them in place…. Boxer brief’s also have a looser leg which means they will stay put better than boxers…. Still, some people do find boxer briefs ride up on them even if they don’t find the same problem with boxers.
Tighter underwear can lead to the “wedgie” some people get when their underwear creeps up and gives them an uncomfortable rub…. Boxers are notorious for this, but boxer briefs aren’t immune from the problem.
Boxer briefs are designed to sit low on your hips, similar to boxers…. They have a pouch in front that is wider than what you would find in traditional boxer shorts as well as leg openings that hang straight down instead of being cut higher at the sides…. The leg openings also tend to be more roomy than those found in boxers or bikini-style underwear.
They provide support for men with larger thighs, but may not do a good job of keeping everything where it should be if you’re built differently than the model wearing the advertisement for the underwear you’re considering buying.
Reasons Why Boxer Briefs Ride Up?
There could be a number of reasons why your boxer briefs are riding up. To prevent this from happening, you should look for boxer briefs that fit snugly around your waist and crotch area…. You should also avoid purchasing boxers made from 100% cotton or stretch fabrics that can lose their shape over time and not hold onto your body properly anymore.
- The primary reason they ride up is their size. If boxer briefs are too small, they are going to ride up…. Similarly, if the fitting is too loose, they will inch their way up.
- The same is the case with style and cut. If the boxer briefs have wrong style and cut, they are likely to ride up…. Last but not least, boxer briefs can also ride up if the material is of low quality.
- Another reason for riding up is the material itself…. The most common culprits are those with very thin materials…. Cotton tends to be more comfortable than other materials but can cause your underwear to become more revealing when it rides up.
- The brand you choose also matters. If you notice that your boxer briefs are constantly riding up despite being a proper fit for you, then it is recommended that you look into a different brand that offers better quality material.
- A pair of boxer briefs that are too long can also cause them to ride up while you’re wearing them…. The longer your underwear is, the more fabric there is between your body and the waistband of your pants or jeans, which causes the fabric itself to move and bunch up.
- Malpositioning of your boxer briefs may be the reason why you experience this problem so often…. This can happen if you are wearing them too low…. In addition, sand out the crotch area of your mens boxer briefs to prevent them from riding up during physical activities like sport or exercise.
Boxer briefs are designed to function well in certain situations, such as sport and exercise…. However, they can also be worn as everyday underwear…. If you wear them every day, it’s likely that you’ll face this problem from time to time because they will become loose after some time of usage.
How Do I Stop My Boxer Briefs from Riding Up?
Tight-fitting garments of any kind will tend to move around when you walk, run or otherwise do anything that involves moving your legs…. Boxer briefs are a tight-fitting garment, and even though they are looser than some underwear styles, when you walk or run they’re going to shift around…. The same thing can happen with regular briefs if they aren’t big enough.
There are several things you can do to make sure that your boxer briefs don’t ride up.
- The first thing you should do is choose the right size. A lot of guys tend to get boxer briefs that are a little snug upfront…. This is a mistake as it leads to them becoming too tight…. For optimal results, it is recommended that you get boxer briefs that are a little bit looser, particularly around the thighs and the crotch.
- The ride of your boxer briefs is another factor that you should pay attention to…. Boxer briefs come in variety of rides…. The ideal option is the low thigh or midrise boxer briefs…. If your boxer briefs are still riding up, then it may be a good idea to upgrade to a different brand.
- Tuck in your shirt. This is more of a longer term prevention tactic, but a good one nevertheless…. The extra fabric from your shirt will act as a barrier between your skin and the waistband of your briefs, which will prevent them from riding up.
- Stay dry. Sometimes, underwear can become slightly damp with sweat while you’re wearing them, which causes them to stick to your skin and ride up as the day goes on…. If you don’t have time to change right away, try draping a dry towel around your waist to absorb the moisture…. A little prevention can go a long way!
Even if your boxer briefs fit properly in the waist, they may still ride up in the legs due to their elastic nature…. This happens especially at the gym or when working out, since your legs will be moving around more and in different directions than usual.
How Are Boxer Briefs Supposed to Fit?
Boxer briefs should not feel too tight or restrictive…. They are supposed to be snug and fit well…. They are designed to complement your body type and shape with an elastic fit that offers equal measures of comfort and support.
They should sit against your skin on the legs and provide maximum comfort to your package…. The waistband of your boxer briefs should sit at or below your waistline where you usually wear your clothing.
However, keep in mind that this is different for everyone so be sure to find your most comfortable spot…. If your boxer briefs feel too restrictive, then you should try a contoured pouch that has some flexibility…. There is nothing wrong with trying out a few options until you choose what’s best for you.
Do Trunks Ride Up Less Than Boxer Briefs?
The support is the major difference between boxer briefs and trunks…. Generally, boxer briefs have relatively loose fitting and trunks have a snug fit…. Trunks are essentially boxer briefs with shorter legs.
When it comes to riding up, trunks are less likely to be a problem as opposed to boxer briefs because they use less fabric and a shorter leg.
They are made to offer a mix of support and comfort and they typically provide a closer fit…. They also create a square appearance, which looks good under casual clothes, sportswear, or formal outfits.
How Can I Make My Boxer Briefs Fit Better?
There are a few things you can do to make sure that your boxer briefs fit better and are comfortable to wear…. First thing you should know is that boxer briefs should act like a second skin over your body.
They should be supportive, comfortable, and pleasure to wear…. So, that’s what you should aim to achieve when it comes to their fitting.
- To begin, focus your attention to your waist and then the front pouch…. For optimal result, make sure that your boxer briefs keep everything in their place comfortably, in a position you like.
- Then turn your attention to the legs…. Make sure to avoid material bunching on the legs and ensure smooth fit against your skin…. You will know your boxer briefs are too tight or small if they are not easy to get into and pull up to the right position comfortably.
- The waistband also shouldn’t dig into your skin and you should have full range of motion with your legs when wearing them.
Should You Size Up in Briefs?
Ideally, you want to wear briefs that match your measurements, regardless of your expectations and hopes.
Briefs that are too small or tight will feel uncomfortable…. The right size of briefs on the other hand, will feel amazing because of their comfort.
Generally, you should compare the waist size of your pants to the waist size options available for the boxer briefs and then choose the one that best matches your waist size.
If your measurement falls in between two of the choices, then it would be a good idea to choose the next size up…. This is the rule of thumb when buying boxer briefs.
However, your personal preference also matters…. If you want a tighter fit, you can order the smaller size…. And if you want a looser fit, you can choose the larger size.
In summary, Boxer briefs are great for most men…. They provide a lot of support, they give you a nice snug feeling, and they are comfortable to wear…. However, if you’ve ever worn them before you may have noticed that they ride up your legs.
Trouble with boxer briefs are that they can sometimes ride up or bunch up in the groin area making them uncomfortable…. This can become a problem if you’re going to be in an area where you need to dress professionally such as a job interview or even just meeting colleagues for lunch.
You may also be interested in… Why Do Guys Wear Briefs? (What’s The Purpose and When To Wear Them?) and Is Saxx Underwear Good?