As heavy people, we all know how easy it is to either break chairs or wear them out well and truly before their time so it is important when buying a recliner to get one that will hold our weight.
A high-capacity recliner will support our weight in both the seated and reclining position. Now as a big man let me tell you that weight capacity shouldn’t be the only priority it has to be wide enough too.
Plus, it has to be comfortable! After all, a block of concrete will hold my weight but is hardly a relaxing way to sit. So we need a big man’s recliner (or woman) that will hold our weight, our girth, and do it comfortably.
At my highest weight, I came in at around 380 lbs (I haven’t improved a great deal either), and until now I just got by with relatively cheap recliner chairs.
The good news is (at least for my size) most decent recliners are wide enough and have been comfortable.
However, you have to look out for those super tight ones that even skinny people struggle to fit in.
I don’t even know what the weight limit was on these recliners when I purchased them. However, while they were comfortable, and wide enough, the poor things did wear out quick under the punishment of my weight.
When you think about it the problem is not just in the sitting:
I can only imagine the tonnage of force going into those recliners when initially getting in them and when you flip them back into the recline position.
Now here’s the sad honest truth:
I searched hard for heavyweight recliners, then I also searched for extra wide recliners, recliners for fat people, recliners with over 600 lb, 500 lb, 400 lb, and 300 lb weight limits and the end result was rather disappointing.
The fact of the matter is there are not too many recliners out there that cater for us who live life on the larger size and many of the ones that do rate terribly.
However, I’m glad to report that 7 recliners emerged as worthy contenders. So here’s the breakdown of the results:
|600 lb||None. The only recliners available at this weight limit had poor ratings|
|500 lb||I found one. Not totally convinced as it only rated fairly as far as 5-star reviews go and it doesn’t have a lot of reviews. However, had a decent number of 4-star reviews so if I was above 400 lbs I would buy it. And it has very positive comments from heavy people and it is wide.|
|400 lb||Nothing again. I would either go for the 500 lb recliner or just go with one of the options below. Not recommended by the manufacturers, of course, but I would probably go with one of the 300 lb recliners and see if it could survive.|
|320 lb||Finally, we are getting into the weight capacity where we can find some recliners with decent ratings. There is one brand with 2 different recliners in this weight range. However, depending on your body shape they may not be wide enough.|
|300 lb||Okay, now we have no problem with finding a good recliner. There is a good selection to choose from with the weight limit and I found 4 well-rated recliners. With some great comments about width so I would prefer these over the 320lb ones if you carry a decent girth.|
Heavy Duty Recliner With 500 lbs Weight Capacity
As mentioned earlier this is by far the only recliner with up to 500 lb weight capacity that had reasonable ratings. The ratings do not scream “buy me I’m fantastic” however when it is the only real choice in this weight range it is worthy of consideration.
But after reading the reviews I can see the plain ratings were due to complaints about putting it together. It is a big heavy chair that takes a bit of effort to move and assemble. So… if you take that out of the equation the recliner itself is great.
If you weigh 400 lbs or above this is the best sofa for a heavy person. In fact, after looking at all of the available recliners for a heavyweight I’d also say this sturdy recliner chair is the best option if you are 350lb or more.
And… As it turns out this is also an excellent recliner for tall people as well. It is also available in different colors…
Park Lane took the premium and class of the Parks collection and built it around the needs of a larger audience. The totally redesigned 4502 recliner is now available up to 500 lbs capacity!
With increased seat depth, a footrest that swivels or locks in place, all new down-wrapped cushions, radius arm construction with coil spring support, this heavy-duty recliner has all the features that you desire in a recliner.
Example of comments from Lane Home Recliner reviews:
This is a great chair for the big and/or tall person. Very comfortable and has great support in the back of the seat and in the backrest. The fabric is soft and durable and I really like the color. The seat is at a good height to make it easy to get out of the chair.
- One of the most comfortable chairs I have ever sat in.
- It is a BIG chair and even a 6’6 guy seems small sitting in it.
- The chair is great. It’s extremely sturdy, well-padded, and very comfortable.
- It is really comfortable and supportive, it is just huge.
- Like a small love seat. Perfect for my big fat butt.
- I love it, fits great for a 6’5” 320 lb man.
- Well constructed, and supports me well as I’m a big guy!
- This is the comfiest, cozy, well-built chair we have EVER purchased.
Power Lift Recliner With 320 lbs Weight Capacity (For Short Elderly People)
So now we drop down to recliners with 320 lb limits and the Mcombo brand has 2 good choices to choose from. The 2 Mcombo recliners rate very similar with only a few percentage points separating them however I will list them in order of the best rated.
This power lift recliner chair sofa is designed for the elderly and is also ideal for heavy people. Rated at 320 pounds with even a reviewer at 400 lbs saying it was great for him. Not designed for tall people and I have my doubts about the width of this one for some people.
This electric recliner chair is designed to make life easier on the user, providing an effortless transition from the seat to a standing position. The new and innovative lift system will help you get up and down effortlessly without adding stress to your back, knees, or feet.
This recliner is a great choice for anyone who is looking for a comfortable chair that can offer back support while relaxing at home.
This chair offers dual USB outlets to keep your devices fully charged, cup holders for holding drinks without spilling, and side pockets for small items during use. It features an adjustable headrest and lumbar support that best fit your needs.
Example of comments from Mcombo Recliner reviews:
Very easy to operate, USB charging ports are a nice touch also. Lifts a 400 lb/ man up with no problems and reclines well too.
- I bought it for my bf who had emergency open-heart surgery. He’s 5’10 and even after 30 pounds of fluids after the surgery at 300 lbs, he fits and has been sleeping comfortably in.
- Dad is a big guy (around 240 lbs), and he fits comfortably in this chair.
- I am 260 Lbs, and it fits snug.
- We like the cup holders and the ability to charge our devices as well.
- I am a rather large lady and am 5 foot 6 inches and it is very comfortable and I JUST LOVE it.
- The arms are nice and soft with just the right amount of stuffing, the cup holders are a plus, as well as the USB charging ports.
- I am 5’3” and heavy. I don’t know about taller folks because the size fits me perfectly.
Power Lift Recliner With 320 lbs Weight Capacity (Big, Tall, & Elderly)
This Mcombo power lift recliner is very similar to the one above but is much better for taller people. Once again it is designed for the elderly and rated to 320lbs. The heaviest reviewer I could find who was happily using this chair weighed 300 lbs…
Example of comments from Mcombo Recliner reviews:
We bought this for for my mother. She really liked how comfortable it is. It’s wide enough for her butt, and it supported her weight just fine. She’s close to 300 lbs. She also liked the features, massage, heat, cup holders and the usb charging ports.
- My husband had a hip replacement several years ago and just had a knee replacement he’s large this chair fits him perfectly.
- I gave it to my dad for Christmas. He loved it. It was easy to assemble. Good quality for the money. Excellent for large people.
- Works great for my disabled son, who is a big man. Great price too!
- It’s perfect for my 6ft tall frame.
- Bought it for my wife she is 6ft 1in tall, she says it is very comfortable, it lifts her so she can get in her wheelchair much easier now.
- It’s fit my 6′ 2 husband. Comfortable does everything that we need to do.
- This chair was a Christmas gift for my 76-year-old mom who has RA and she absolutely loves it! She is 5’8” tall and about 230lbs.
Manual Recliner Chair With 300 lbs Weight Capacity (Best Rated)
This recliner chair has the best ratings by far and if you are under 300 lbs this is most definitely the best choice. It is very popular with over 1,328 reviewers and an excellent 75% of them rate this chair 5 out of 5 stars.
Just to add credence to that value another 16% give it 4-stars so that’s 91% of reviewers extremely satisfied with this recliner and for furniture that is an outstanding achievement…
The SKINU Manual Recliner Chair combines modern styling with innovative technology to give you the perfect swivel recliner. Featuring a breathable air leather cover and high-density foam padding, this chair is as comfortable as genuine leather but also more delicate, breathable, hard-wearing, and easy to clean.
Example of comments from SKINU Recliner reviews:
This is the most comfortable chair I have ever sat in, and I am over 50 years old. I suffer from sciatica and this chair gives me a wonderful amount of support. Add to that the vibration from 4 separate motors at calf, thigh, lumbar and shoulder and you have an amazing feeling of luxury and comfort.
- I’m 6 ft 1 (185 cm) – would this be comfortable/big enough? I need not have worried. It’s perfect for my height.
- So comfortable, especially for me who has had spinal surgery and was getting back, neck, and leg pain with our old sofa.
- This is a really supportive chair and I’ve had no pain since using it.
- Wow, the chairs are solid, comfortable and their customer service is excellent.
- We got this mainly as a disability chair for my dad but now I and my mum both want one. It massages You and it warms you up. Best chair in the world.
- Perfect height for people who have trouble getting up out of a normal chair or sofa.
- Bought it for my disabled sister she loves that it assists her to nearly standing.
- Fantastic piece of furniture. Ideal for a family member with mobility issues.
- This product is fantastic. I suffer from Fibromyalgia and the chair has given back my family time.
- Very good chair, just right for my disabled husband, nice and comfortable.
ANJ Electric Recliner Chair With 300 lbs Weight Capacity
This recliner chair has good ratings with 67% of reviewers rating it 5 out of 5 stars. ANJ Electric Recliner Chair provides luxurious comfort that is perfect for relaxing on a lazy afternoon, reading a book, or watching TV. You can adjust the seat to your preferred position and relax at any time in an easy manner.
A perfect relaxation chair. Its reclining function is just so smooth and gentle that you will like it. It has a simple but comfortable style & design and extra padded for extra comfort.
This ANJ recliner chair will help you to obtain the best of both worlds, that is to read, play, and relax in comfort. Bonded leather seating ensures durability and easy cleaning while overstuffed pillows on the back and headrest offer hours of relaxation.
Example of comments from ANJ Recliner reviews:
It looks excellent in my living room wide for husky people its a big plus.
- It is very wide as I am 5′ 11″, 180 lbs., and sitting in the middle with my arms to the side, my arms don’t reach the armrests
- Very comfortable. I’m a big guy, 250 plus, but it’s still a good size for me. Really good quality and appearance.
- I have had the absolute worst time trying to find a recliner that is not big and tall, not too small, and comfortable padding for the butt. This is it!
- Best chair for an old fat guy. Just sayin’.
- I purchased this chair for my son in law who is a very large person. He loves it. The chair is comfortable and fits him very fine.
- If you’re looking for a comfy recliner to relax in at the end of the day, this is your chair!
- Best furniture purchase on a budget that I’ve ever made.
- I love this chair! Big folks friendly!!!
- We love the power recline. We are plus-size people and they are very comfortable.
- I am not a small guy, 6’1 and 240, but this chair fits like a glove. I absolutely love it.
Christopher Knight Glider Recliner With 300 lbs Weight Capacity
This recliner chair has good ratings with 68% of reviewers rating it 5 out of 5 stars. At home in any living environment, the Blake upholstery glider club chair from Christopher Knight Home’s Hawthorne collection is the perfect match for a media room or den.
The Hawthorne glider recliner has a dual-function motorized operating system that will let you relax in comfort. The chair’s special feature allows you to recline back and elevate your feet at one time for the ultimate comfort level.
A great addition to any room, this chair will make watching your favorite show or being with family and friends effortless.
Example of comments from Christopher Knight Recliner reviews:
Was a gift for my daughter and her hubby and they said it arrived on time, and was easy to put together, as stated. She states, it is quite comfortable (she’s 9 months pregnant) and perfect for cuddling along with her 3 year old. Hubby gets time in it as well & gives it a thumbs up.
- I’m 6’2″ and 230lbs. this chair is a good size for me.
- I am 5’3 on the heavy side and can’t say enough.
- Get it for a big person… room enough to curl up in too.
- It’s a great big and tall chair! Easy to assemble and very comfy!
- This chair is amazing. Soft and comfortable.
- I am 6 ft tall and weigh 220. Very comfortable chair. Easy to assemble.
CANMOV Power Lift Recliner With 300 lbs Weight Capacity
This recliner chair has good ratings with 67% of reviewers rating it 5 out of 5 stars. This overstuffed lift chair is for someone who is looking for comfort and security. The lift chair is functional for the elderly and people with limited mobility…
With a smooth reclining mechanism, comfortable plush fabric cover, and a padded backrest your sitter will be assured to relax and find ease. The Hawthorne features a manual recline system for the most control possible during the relaxing process.
With its deep bucket seat and flexible motion, this functional lift chair opens up new possibilities for those with limited mobility.
Example of comments from CANMOV Recliner reviews:
I am a big guy; 350 pounds and waiting for bariatric surgery. For me it is very comfortable and fits my big frame. The remote is simple: Just two buttons – one is up to lift, and the other button is down to recline. The motor is smooth and does not strain to lift me.
- My dad loves it. Very comfortable. Fits him well, he is 6′ 2″ 220 lbs.
- It feels very plush, I am a big lady and it fits me fine.
- Very easy put together in big enough for a big man.
- Has a wide seat, a heavy chair doesn’t move when sat in or adjusting.
- Heavy duty and comfortable.
- This lift enables me to easily stand up without much effort.
- It is very comfortable and the larger size is great!
- My husband loved the size and the comfort of the chair. He has disabilities and finds it a great fit.
In summary, all of the above 7 recliners for heavy people have good ratings. You will have to take into consideration how much space you have as well and whether or not the widest ones will fit.
The 500 lb recliner for example is a beast of a chair and very heavy. If you do have space you will more than likely need some help assembling and moving it.
With all that said… here are my choices:
|600 lb||Nothing. I would try the 500 lb one myself, rather than buy a higher weight limit with poor ratings.|
Lane Home Recliner Chair: This is the clear winner and really the only decent option in this weight capacity range, I was initially hesitant about it but the comments from bigger people have convinced me this is a good chair. It is very heavy and huge. So you will need a good space for it.
|400 lb||Nothing again. Get the 500 lb chair.|
|320 lb||Two good options but the chairs aren’t that wide so if you come in under 300 lbs this one is best for shorter people and this one for taller.|
|300 lb||Here is where you will find the best option so if you fall under this weight range the SKINU Manual Recliner Chair is clearly the highest-rated recliner chair. All of the others in this weight range are also very good and the last one on our list CANMOV Power Lift Recliner has a lot of excellent comments about its width and how good it is for big men.|
You may also be interested in… Best 500-lb. Capacity Heavy-Duty Portable Chair: Big Man Approved and Zero Gravity Chairs For Heavy People: Holds Your Weight (500 Lbs)