Disclosure: We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Are Your Feet Putting On Weight As Well?
As an obese man, I have tried and worn out numerous shoes over my time, and usually because I go for the cheaper options that are not really suited for someone of my generous weight capacity…
If you are a fat or heavy guy when buying shoes there are two major considerations you need to look for. You need footwear that has a nice thick cushioning effect when you walk and shoes that are wider to accomodate your obese feet.
Yes… I said obese feet. I remember years back talking to a friend about shoes. I couldn’t believe how once I was a size 10 but now I am a size 13.
He just leaned over towards me and quietly said, “You know as you have put on a lot of weight over the years that your feet get bigger too, don’t you?”
Oh dear, what a revelation. Talk about not being the sharpest tool, in the shed! I couldn’t believe my naivety. O well… I know now that as your belly grows so do your feet.
10 Things To Look For When Buying Shoes For Fat Men
If you’re overweight and want to buy shoes for fat men, there are some things that you should consider while shopping. Your weight can put a lot of stress on your feet, making it important to wear comfortable shoes that fit right. Here are some things to consider:
1. Choose the Right Size
The most important thing when buying shoes for fat men is to get the right size. This may sound obvious, but many people think that because their feet are big and wide, they need to buy shoes that are larger than their actual size. At the end of the day, it’s still your foot that’s going to be inside the shoe, so make sure it fits properly.
2. Look for a Roomy Toe Box
An important feature of shoes for fat men is a roomy toe box. It should be wide enough to give your toes some wiggle room and prevent them from rubbing against your sidewall.
If you experience any discomfort at all or if you find yourself constantly having to adjust your toes inside then your shoes are not wide enough. It’s better to find a shoe with a wider toe box than one that is too narrow at the front.
3. Get Shoes That Are Easy To Put On And Take Off
Most people spend a lot of time trying to get their shoes off and on again when they wear them because they’re too tight or because they don’t have any flexibility in them. One way around this problem is by buying shoes that are easy to put on and take off.
One of the first and most important factors that you need to consider is durability. When it comes to choosing shoes for fat men, it is important that you opt for something durable and long-lasting. It can be difficult to shop for comfortable footwear as a fat man because it becomes challenging to find something that fits well as well as is durable enough.
In other words, you need to make sure that the pair is made of quality materials so that they can withstand abuse regardless of how much weight you are carrying.
Another important factor that you need to consider when looking for shoes for fat men is comfort. Since there are numerous options available, choosing something comfortable can be a tough task. The best way to select something comfortable is by trying them on and walking around in them to see if they feel good or not.
6. Soft Leather Uppers
Look for soft leather uppers. Genuine leather molds to the shape of your foot as you wear it, which can help relieve pressure on problem areas like bunions or hammertoes.
7. Avoid Shoes with Elastic Laces and Narrow Eyelets
Elastic laces can be quite nice on some shoes as they allow you to easily slip them on and off without having to tie them every time. However, if that pair of shoes have narrow eyelets (the “holes” where the laces go through), then it can be quite difficult for a fat guy to get the laces through them comfortably.
Choose shoes with laces or velcro straps, rather than slip-on styles, because they can be tightened to fit snugly around your foot.
8. Seek Out Shoes With Removable Inserts
A removable insert is easy to remove and replace with one that offers more cushioning if necessary. It’s not unusual to require additional cushioning as you age or put more miles on your shoes. Having an insert that can be replaced is a big plus.
For overweight men who are diabetic, look for shoes that are certified by Medicare or other health care organizations. These types of shoes will have the extra depth and cushioning necessary to avoid injury and complications like foot ulcers.
9. Look for Shoes with Long Tongues
A long tongue allows you to tie the shoe tightly without having any pressure applied to the top of your foot. This helps prevent blisters from forming on the top of your feet.
The tongues of some shoes are short so that they can be tied tightly without having any protrude beyond the laces, but those types of tongues can apply pressure to the top of the foot when tied too close. For this reason, it’s best for guys with fat feet to wear shoes that have longer tongues, so they can be tied tightly without pressing against the top of your foot.
10: Try On Shoes Late In The Day
Try on shoes late in the day because, during the day, our feet tend to swell; by trying them on later in the day, you will find out if they are comfortable all the time or just early in the morning.
Let’s look at some of the different footwear available for overweight men…
Fat Sneakers: Walking Shoes For Overweight Men
The following product has an excellent 74% of consumers rating it 5 out of 5 stars…
The Skechers men’s Vigor 2.0 Trait Memory Foam sneaker is specifically designed to help you achieve your goals for good health with its shock-absorbing responsive ride, multi-directional flex control, and great stability. A memory foam insole cradles the foot with every step. The contoured heel provides all-day comfort.
Let’s see what heavy people had to say about this shoe…
Great fit and comfortable. Surprised I enjoy these shoes so much. I definitely appreciated the wide width too, given how difficult it is for me to find shoes that fit my fat feet.
- I’m obese and these are the best shoes that I have ever owned!
- Fat footed guy, too many years in hockey skates. These shoes are awesome.
- What every fat man needs is on his feet eight hours a day.
- They are extremely comfortable and I have a wide 3E foot.
- The wide width is perfect for my foot.
- I keep coming back to these shoes. The heel stays put, and the toe box is wide enough for me.
- This was my first pair of wide-fit shoes and I feel like I’ve been missing out my whole life.
- If you have problem feet like me (wide, sensitive to tightness, prone to need extra support and flexibility) these will be a great find.
- I was very pleased that they fit my wide feet comfortably without any squeezing or tightness and the memory foam – despite some other complaints – seems to really make these an extra comfortable shoe.
- “Oh, wow!”. The extra-wide size was a plus for me too.
Fat Flip Flops: Sandals For Overweight Men
The following product has an AMAZING 85% of consumers rating it 5 out of 5 stars…
Get the Adidas Alphabounce Slide shoe and let the style do the talking. This stylish, everyday sandal features a slip-on design for easy on/off functionality.
The lightweight, one-piece mesh upper provides premium breathability and comfort while the adjustable webbing strap offers a secure, custom fit.
The molded EVA footbed, combined with the soft textile lining, adds extra cushioning while an abrasion-resistant rubber outsole provides traction and durability. These men’s sandals are an ideal partner for your casual or active lifestyle and can withstand all that you throw at them.
Let’s see what heavy people had to say about this slide…
I use these for around the house to keep my feet from getting sore. Being overweight, I’ve done some damage to the tendons in my feet and the pain flares up if I spend a lot of time barefoot. I have 2 pair of these, one for around the house and one for going outdoors. Love them and haven’t had any complaints yet.
- Firm and cushioned. Very comfortable. I have purchased 6 others and none of them compare to these, especially if you are overweight.
- These have been fantastic. Lots of cushion and a wide base for my wide feet. The sole looks like a basketball shoe’s sole.
- The outer sole is big and wide enough to feel like that of a sneaker, and the super bouncy inner sole keeps your feet feeling pampered all day.
- I recommend these for people with wide feet. They are very cushiony and comfortable.
- These are especially nice if you have a wide foot.
- I personally have wide feet so finding a good sandal is hard but these slides can accommodate my feet.
- My son loves this shoe! He has a very wide foot, so he has to have a slide that is adjustable, yet supportive. He is very happy with this one!
- I have wide feet and this fits great and is comfortable.
- These slides are the best pair I’ve ever owned. I have flat and wide feet. The extra cushion supports my arch very comfortably.
- I have foot issues plus a wide foot. These are god sent feels great on my feet.
Fat Loafers: Comfortable For Overweight Men
The following product has an excellent 79% of consumers rating it 5 out of 5 stars…
The Expected Gomel Slip-On Loafer is ideal for those in need of extra cushioning and a smooth ride. Slip-on construction and an elasticized goring system make the shoe effortless to wear. A soft textile lining offers a premium feel, as well as odor resistance and easy wipe-clean capabilities.
Let’s see what heavy people had to say about this loafer…
So my brother is a big guy. He is extremely heavy, and has a hard time finding shoes wide enough for his feet. Well, these shoes have the comfort he needs when walking. He would only wear shoes when he left the house. NOW, he wears shoes IN THE HOUSE! And these are the shoes he loves to wear!
- My fat feet hurt. These are the most comfortable shoes I’ve had since my hip surgery 5 months ago.
- If you’re overweight and need a shoe with a comfortable impact, then this is the perfect shoe.
- Love love love. I’m very overweight. Shoes, well, they….hurt. these? Awesome. They’re light and comfortable. Breathable.
- The relaxed fit works well for me because I have wide feet (usually E or EE) and these shows are perfect.
- I would highly recommend these shoes to anybody. It’s also nice that they come in wide sizes.
- I have wide feet and was looking for a shoe that was visually appealing, comfortable, AND came in my size. Luckily, I ran across this shoe and it’s been great wearing them for everyday use.
- Husband has a wide foot so he was thrilled these easily affordable slip ones were available.
- My dad has Diabetes and needs wide shoes. These are perfect.
- I am using these shoes for work and the standing desk, I have big wide feet and am comfy to stand in.
- I wear wide-size shoes, this shoe is very comfortable to wear and to walk in, and the size is correct they fit perfectly.
Fat Dress Shoes: Comfortable For Overweight Men
The following Powerbass product has an excellent 79% of consumers rating it 5 out of 5 stars…
These Dockers Men’s Trustee Oxford Dress Shoes feature leather uppers with an abrasion-resistant coating that feels supple in your hand while looking polished and professional on your feet.
The shoes also feature a padded collar and tongue, cushioned footbed for all-day comfort, slip-on design, and are built to weather the demands of your busy day.
Designed to make the statement while being exceptionally comfortable for your feet. It feels good to look good.
Let’s see what heavy people had to say about this loafer…
I wear these shoes everyday as a teacher. I love my work boots for the weekend, but these are tough enough to get me through the week. I do a lot of moving around and standing in front of the class, but feet fatigue doesn’t seem to bother me. I am a bit overweight, so they get some abuse.
- My husband has wide feet and these casual dockers are just right for him! And they are stylish…he can dress them up with a suit and casually with jeans!
- It’s hard to find a great versatile work shoe for him in wide width – and these fit the bill!
- Fits perfectly. The wide width makes the shoe very comfortable for those with wide feet, especially when wearing it all day long.
- Having wide feet, it can be a struggle to find decent shoes at reasonable costs. So my needs were: a nice Oxford-style shoe to match my business casual attire, all-day comfort for long distances, and wide width.
- I bought them in wide width and they fit exactly as I would expect.
Further reading: Best Water Filter Pitcher For Hard Water (For Town Or Well Water), Is Cyberpower A Good Brand? (High-Performance Computer Hardware), and Is Zotac A Good Brand? (Cheaper Price For Equal Performance)
In summary, Fat people, like everyone else, need good shoes that can be worn on a variety of terrain.
Most fat people need large shoes with wide toe boxes. Buy at least one full size larger than your usual size. Avoid any sharp-edged shoes or boots which cut the top of the foot. Your size may be different according to different makers and models.
You may also be interested in… Is Skechers A Good Brand? (Comfortable Shoes For Everyone) and Fat Guy Beach Chairs: Huge 1000 lbs Capacity For Heavy People