What Pants To Wear with Plaid?
Plaid is a very popular pattern in men’s fashion so it makes sense that you would want to know what pants to wear with plaid shirts, plaid jackets, and other plaid clothing.
There are many different types of pants that look great with plaid. You can wear any color or style of pants with your plaid shirt and it will look great. You don’t have to limit yourself to wearing just khaki-colored pants either. You can wear a pair of dress slacks if you want or even a nice pair of jeans.
Plaids are a great way to dress up your outfit, but you don’t want to make a mistake when choosing the right pants. A plaid shirt can make or break a look, and the same goes for the pants you choose to wear with it.
Let’s start off by looking at the different pants you can wear with your plaid shirts…
"As an Associate of Amazon I earn from qualifying purchases made from links in this post."
What Pants To Wear with Plaid Shirt?
There are so many different kinds of plaid, it can be hard to find the right pair of pants to go with them. You can match it with a solid color, or even another pattern, but you want to avoid clashing colors.
Here’s How to Go About Picking the Best Pants for Your Plaid Shirt
- Solid Color Pants – If you have a solid-colored plaid shirt, one of the easiest ways to match it is with a solid color pair of pants. Since there is no risk of clashing colors, this is an easy way to stay stylish without doing too much work.
- Color Coordinated Pants – If you have a plaid shirt and pants that have similar colors, try wearing the same color family on your socks and shoes. This will make your outfit pop without being too overbearing.
- Neutral Pants – Neutral-toned pants can go well with any type of plaid shirt. It all comes down to what kind of look you want to achieve. If you want to stick with muted tones, try brown or gray on top and bottom. If you want something brighter, opt for khaki-colored slacks or jeans.
- Toned Down Bright Plaids – If you have a bright plaid shirt, you might not want to wear bright-colored slacks or jeans that day. Instead, try going for something more muted like brown or gray to tone it down some.
The Type Of Pants You Wear With Plaid Shirts Include:
- Dress pants – This is probably the most obvious choice for what pants to wear with plaid but they really do look good together. Dress pants are perfect for any occasion especially formal occasions like weddings and award ceremonies.
- Jeans – Of course, you can also wear jeans with your plaid shirts. Jeans just seem to go well together for some reason. To make sure your jeans match go for either dark wash jeans or light wash jeans depending on how casual you want your outfit to be.
- Khakis – Khakis go really well together because the natural colors of khaki and plaid go together well. Khaki pants are great for church, work, or just about any casual occasion.
- Chinos – Chinos are another pant option when it comes to wearing plaid shirts and they too look really good together.
- Trousers – Trousers can be a fun option if you’re trying to dress your outfit down a little bit. You’ll typically see this look on guys in business casual environments or at more casual events like birthday parties or family gatherings.
Plaid shirts are extremely versatile. You can wear them in the office, at a casual event, or even on a date. But the only way to pull off this look is with carefully chosen pants that aren’t too flashy or too dull.
What Pants To Wear with Plaid Blazer?
Now, when it comes to pants, there are different options you can choose from. You can wear your favorite denim jeans or if you want something more classy, you can go with black suit pants or even white dress pants.
It all depends on your personal style, but keep in mind that if you have an eye-catching shirt or blazer on, your pants should be plainer so they don’t steal the spotlight.
There are no strict rules on which pants work best with a blazer, but there are guidelines. Your best bet is to go for neutral colors like black, gray, or khaki. You’ll also want to choose flat-front pants (no pleats) and avoid anything too baggy, too flared, or too tight.
Here are some suggestions:
Chinos – Chinos work well with plaid blazers because they’re casual, but also a dressier option since they’re made from a cotton-like material and come in many colors. They look great paired with a long sleeve shirt and tie.
Jeans – Just like chinos, jeans also come in many colors and styles. However, jeans are more casual and worn more often for everyday wear. Consider pairing your jeans or even khakis with a nice button-down shirt when wearing one of these jackets out on the town or at your favorite restaurant.
Dress Pants – If you are looking for something that you can wear on a date or to an important meeting, then you should stick with a more formal pair of black, gray, or brown dress pants. You can also wear khakis if you’re going on a casual date. If you’re not sure of the formality level, then opt for the more casual look and choose khakis. If you are wearing a plaid blazer to work (with khakis) I would suggest skipping the tie and even the pocket square. It’s okay to be creative with your look at the office, but save it for the weekend!
As for colors:
- Beige Pants or Khaki Color – Beige pants or khaki color pants will always be in style. If you wear beige pants or khaki color pants with your plaid blazer, you will look smart and fashionable.
- Tan/Camel Color – Camel color and tan/camel color match perfectly with your plaid blazer and ensure that you look great even if it’s not a special occasion.
- Navy Blue Pants – Navy blue is an elegant color; therefore, navy blue trousers will ensure that you look chic and fashionable when combined with your plaid blazer.
The most important thing to remember when choosing pants is that you have to choose the type of pants that will match the occasion.
What Pants To Wear with Plaid Jacket?
Trying to match the pattern is the easiest way to wear it, especially if you are looking for something simple and classic. A dark pair of jeans, grey chino, black trouser, or even a nice pair of dark-wash denim goes perfectly with a plaid jacket.
This means that if you are going to wear pants during work or corporate events, it is best to pick those that have a fit that is slightly loose, instead of tight-fitting ones. This is because when you wear tight-fitting trousers, it makes you look like you are trying to give an impression that you are thinner than you really are.
In contrast, if you will be wearing your pants during leisure activities, then it would be best if they have a tighter fit on your body as this will make you look more attractive and stylish.
You will also notice that there are times when people use informal pants along with their blazers. This can be done even if you will be attending formal parties or events such as weddings and other celebrations. However, make sure that you stick with dark colors in casual pants so they will not stand out much when paired with your blazer.
What Pants To Wear with Black and White Plaid?
Black and white plaid is a classic pattern that was popularized by the likes of Tommy Hilfiger. It’s a great pattern for sweaters, shirts, and ties, but it also looks great with the right pants.
The key to wearing this pattern is to wear it with black or gray pants because the plaid will look too busy with lighter colors.
Tighten up your look by pairing your pants with a black belt, black shoes, and a solid-colored shirt with minimal patterns. Keep the rest of your outfit minimal as well to avoid appearing too busy.
You can’t go wrong wearing black and white plaid with a solid black suit, the white of the plaid acting as a nice accent. To get that more formal look, you can wear a crisp white shirt, adding in a pocket square to match the plaid. You can also opt for a printed shirt in black and white, but keep the colors balanced so it’s not too bold.
Tie-wise, the same rule applies: stick to black or a white-and-black pattern like stripes or small paisley prints. The effect will be dressy, but not too matchy-matchy. For shoes, stick with sleek black or brown lace-ups—you don’t want to detract from your pants!
Paired with a solid navy blazer, this outfit is perfect for an interview or meeting. Add in some suede Oxfords and you’ve got yourself an appropriate outfit for almost any formal occasion.
What Pants To Wear with Red Plaid?
Wearing the right pants with red plaid is essential if you want to look stylish while staying warm. While it can seem like a difficult task, there are several simple tricks that will help you to achieve the perfect look.
Red goes with black but sometimes that can be a little boring.
Trying to figure out what pants to wear with red plaid can be a little tricky because you don’t want them to compete with the top. Pairing red plaid with blue jeans makes the jeans too overpowering and the shirt will get lost. The best thing to do is to make sure the red is the focal point and pick a pair of pants that compliment it without being so bold they cover up your shirt.
A great choice for jeans is black or dark-colored jeans. This helps bring out the darker tones in the plaid, without competing with the top. Black jeans are slimming as well so they help make your legs look longer and leaner! Add a pair of black boots or brown dress shoes and you’ll be good to go!
In summary, many people wear jeans with their plaid shirts. This look is very casual and relaxed and can be worn for almost any occasion. By mixing a casual plaid shirt with jeans, you can create an outfit that looks put-together even though it’s not dressed up at all.
But as you have seen chinos, dress pants, and khakis are all great options. The color choices are the most important thing.
You may also be interested in… What Is Tommy Hilfiger Sizing Like?