What Jeans Should You Wear for Your Body Type?
Your body type and the style of jeans you wear can make a big difference in your overall look. Finding the perfect pair of jeans can be a challenge especially if you are embarrassed to try on jeans in public. Fortunately, with this guide, you will be able to find the perfect pair.
Jeans come in many different styles, and they are made from various materials. Some are stretchy and others are rigid. Some jeans are loose-fitting while others hug your body tightly.
It can be confusing knowing what jeans to wear if you have a less-than-average body type. Whether you are fat, pear-shaped, tall, or small-boned, you can always find a pair of jeans that will flatter your body type.
Your body shape has a lot to do with what type of jeans you should wear. For example, if you’re pear-shaped, then you want to avoid skintight jeans at all costs because they’ll make your hips look even bigger than they already are.
If you have extra weight around the middle and thighs, then you should go for a pair of straight-leg jeans or boot-cut pants that will help balance out your silhouette. On the other hand, if you’re skinny and have thin legs, then skinny jeans will probably look great on you.
So let’s dive in and see what jeans are best for each body type…
|Also Worth Reading: Centric Brands: List of Brands Licensed By Centric Brands|
What Jeans Should Fat Guys Wear?
If you are a man who is overweight or obese and want to hide your belly, it may seem like the only option is to wear loose-fitting clothing and baggy jeans. But in reality, it is possible to wear flattering jeans if you want to accentuate your other good attributes. It’s also important for overweight men to look stylish because no man wants to be seen as sloppy when he goes out in public.
One of the biggest mistakes overweight men make when buying jeans is buying too big. You may think that wearing baggier pants will help cover up a bit of your belly, but it will actually amplify it because your shirt or sweater will billow out over top and create a “muffin top.”
Instead, choose jeans that fit well and are slim around the ankle. This look is both stylish and slimming — plus, it will give you more confidence to wear nice button-up shirts or sweaters without looking dumpy.
While baggy jeans might hide a bit of your belly when worn alone, they will make you appear larger than you really are when paired with a fitted shirt or sweater. Instead, pick out jeans that fit well across the thighs and taper slightly at the bottom to show off your shoes without looking like clown pants.
If you are overweight and want to look good wearing jeans, there are styles of jeans that do work well on a fat guy. Below is a list of the best jeans styles for fat guys.
- A good pair of dark denim jeans is one of the best styles for fat guys. These are pretty much universally flattering on everyone. Just make sure they fit well. If they are too loose they will make you look bigger than you are.
- Next is the straight-leg jean. This has been a trend in men’s fashion for some time now but it works very well for people with curves. The cut accentuates curves and minimizes bulges in all the right areas, creating a more streamlined look. Do not buy these if you have larger thighs or a larger butt, as this style makes big thighs and butts look bigger than they actually are.
- If you still want to wear tight-fitting jeans (which I am not suggesting, just saying that some people do) then stick with dark washes if possible. They help hide any lumps and bumps by minimizing the contrast between them and your pants.
- Pants that taper from the knee down are another great option for fat guys who want to wear skinny jeans. The narrow leg will help minimize your legs.
|Also Worth Reading: Brands Like Diesel (10 Diesel Jeans Alternatives)|
What Jeans Should a 40 Year Old Wear?
There are several different styles of jeans to choose from these days – all of them can be flattering if you choose the correct style and size.
One of my favorite styles is the “high waist” or “high rise”. These are cut like your favorite pair of jeans but have a higher waistline. They’re actually right at your natural waist but have a slight flare that adds a bit of volume. Because they’re not super low rise, they will generally work for most women over 40 (unless your figure is larger busted, short-waisted, or petite).
The best part about high-waisted jeans is that they flatter and elongate your legs while camouflaging any unwanted thigh bulge and tummy pudge. In fact, the higher the waist (within reason), the better! Another big plus is that this style looks great with boots – especially taller boots.
Mature 40-year-old women were the first to adopt skinny jeans, and they still love them. Skinny jeans are fairly easy to wear and flattering for most 40+-year-old women.
If you carry your weight in your hips or thighs, a narrow leg opening will make your legs look longer and leaner. If your weight is carried higher up on your body, a wider leg opening will balance out your figure (think Sophia Loren).
Still, if you’re busty, short-waisted, or petite, wide-legged pants will overwhelm you. If you’re petite, try cropped skinny jeans instead of full-length jeans. A shorter length will stop the jean from drowning you and make you seem taller by comparison. A flared leg might also be an option for someone of average height.
If you’re tall with an athletic build, straight-leg jeans can draw attention to that muscularity in an unflattering way. Choose a bootcut or slightly flared-leg jeans for this type of figure. Boot cuts flatter most figures because they make legs look longer by adding visual interest at the bottom of the pants.
|Also Worth Reading: How to Store Jeans? (10 Places to Store Jeans)|
What Jeans Should Skinny Guys Wear?
Think of your body type as a series of vertical stripes. If you’re tall and skinny, like a lot of guys at Mode, you want to wear vertical stripes. Why? Because a pair of jeans that fits well in the waist and through the thighs will balance out your body and make it appear more proportional.
What jeans should skinny guys wear? Skinny jeans, of course.
That’s right, skinny jeans are the best option for a man with a lean body type and if you’ve never tried them on before, you might not be prepared for just how snug they can feel.
However, there are some important things to keep in mind:
- Fit is critical – Skinny jeans that fit properly will look great; too big and they will be baggy and shapeless while too small will be impossible to move in.
- Keep your length – If you’re tall, you’ll probably want to go for a longer leg length so that you don’t end up with an ankle-hitting hemline.
- Go for a dark wash – Darker washes can help to mask any imperfections in your legs and make them look slimmer than they really are.
- Believe in stretch – If your skinny jeans have any stretch to them at all then you’ll find that they conform much better to your shape and are also much more comfortable.
Tall, skinny guys should avoid wearing jeans that are too wide on the leg. If that’s what you’re into, go for it, but if you’re looking to appear more balanced, stick with a slim fit. Another option is to wear a jean with a slight taper at the bottom – this will give the illusion of some width where there isn’t any.
|Also Worth Reading: 14 Possible Reasons Why Your Jeans Rip at the Crotch|
What Jeans Should a Petite Woman Wear?
Jeans are a tricky piece of clothing for women of all sizes, shapes, and heights. However, if you’re petite, it can be even more difficult to find ones that look good on you. Pants that are too long or too large in the waist area make even the most confident of women feel frumpy and dumpy. Making matters worse is the lack of variety in styles, especially when looking for jeans that fit well and flatter your figure.
A petite woman should look for jeans that are slim and fitted but not tight or too short. The length of these women’s jeans will be shorter than normal, but there are ways around that problem.
The key is to choose a pair of jeans with a good fit. Women who are petite in height should look for jeans that fit on the waist, hips, and thighs.
If a woman is having problems finding pants that fit well on her hips and thighs, she should find a pair that fits well on her waist and then get them altered to the proper length.
Some petite women may also have problems finding pants with long enough inseams. It is possible to hem pants, but it’s best to buy pants that are already hemmed about an inch above the ankle. This way you don’t have to worry if they’re too long; you can use your shoes as a guide when choosing the right inseam length.
|Also Worth Reading: Do Jeans Stretch Over Time? (14 Things You Should Know)|
What Jeans To Wear If You Are Short?
When you are short, finding jeans that fit well and flatter your body can be a challenge. However, with some thought and careful shopping, you can definitely find great jeans that fit you perfectly.
Taller women have an edge in the fashion industry because they can wear almost every style of jeans without being concerned about the length. With a few tricks, however, it is possible for shorter women to wear jeans that make them look taller and more slender.
- Wear jeans that fall above your ankle – Jeans should not fall below your ankle as this makes you appear shorter and stockier. If a pair of jeans falls below your ankle, remove the excess fabric with a good pair of scissors. This will ensure that you can give off the appearance of longer legs when wearing those jeans.
- Use darker washes to appear taller – Darker washes such as black or dark blue will give off an illusion of length on a short woman. Dark wash jeans tend to make the legs appear longer compared to light washes which only make them appear slimmer but not longer. So next time you buy jeans, go for a darker wash instead of a light wash to maximize your illusion of height.
One of the easiest ways to make yourself look taller is to eliminate baggy clothing. Baggy jeans can make your legs appear bigger and bulkier, which makes them appear shorter than they really are. Wearing jeans that fit well and hug your body will make them appear leaner and longer.
Another tip for petite women is not to wear shoes with high heels or platforms. If you don’t want to always wear flats, then choose a lower heel height such as 1 1/2 inches or 2 inches instead of 3 or 4 inches. This type of shoe creates the illusion of being taller because it makes your legs appear longer, which is what most short people need help with in order to appear taller.
|Also Worth Reading: Are 7 for All Mankind Jeans Good? (Is Seven 7 Jeans a Good Brand?)|
What Jeans Should Pear Shape Wear?
You are a pear shape if your hips and thighs are fuller than your waist. You should look for jeans that have a little stretch to them. When you find the right pair of jeans, they will make you look thinner, more shapely, and more confident. Jeans that fit correctly will give you a more streamlined look, especially if they’re fitted at the waist.
With the right pair of jeans, pear-shaped women can be curvy and confident. To find those perfect jeans, first, identify your pear shape body type. This means you have a smaller top and larger bottom.
Pear-shaped bodies create the hourglass figure when wearing an A-line dress or skirt but with a pair of jeans, they have a tendency to look heavier at the bottom.
Follow these tips to find the perfect pair of jeans for your pear shape body:
- Jeans should be fitted through the legs and thighs to create a vertical line, which will elongate your body and make you appear taller.
- Choose denim that is stretchy but not too tight in the waistband, as this will make you look even wider on top.
- Pants that sit below your natural waistline are more flattering for your pear shape body type than pants that sit at or above your natural waistline. The latter will make you look wider around your hips and upper thighs.
- If you’re looking for a slimming effect, try on jeans that have a slight flare in the leg opening with no additional details such as embellishments or pockets around this area. This is commonly referred to as boot cut or bell-bottom jeans.
Pear-shaped women should avoid wearing baggy jeans, as this will make them look bigger at the bottom. Skinny jeans are a great choice for pear-shaped women because they help shape and define their hips, legs, and waistline.
It may be difficult to find skinny jeans that fit properly if you have curvier thighs, but it is worth trying out different brands.
|Also Worth Reading: Why Are Jeans So Popular? (Why Do People Like Denim So Much?)|
In summary, the general rule is that the wider your legs are, the lower on the waist you should wear your jeans. If you have a large butt and long legs, size up at least one size to give yourself room in the seat and thighs.
If you are pear-shaped or shorter in stature, wear dark denim or stretch denim to make your legs look longer. Wear darker colors if you are larger in the hip area as it will help balance out your proportions.
To determine the right jean length for your height, measure from your crotch to where you want your hemline to fall using a tape measurer.
Add 2 inches to this measurement and there you have it! This is the perfect length for wearing heels or boots with jeans. If you are short in stature and need more length to reach this point, purchase petite jeans.
You may also be interested in… How Are Jeans Supposed to Fit? and Why Do Jeans Have Rivets?
Allan Wilson who in the offline world has an extensive background working in research, analyzing statistics, improving work processes, team leading, and implementing training to improve results and now thanks to more than 3 years dedicated to this site is now also a highly regarded researcher of brands.
Allan has a long history of developing brands online way back before blogging existed creating websites using HTML code in Notepad. Allan established brands in the Info Product Marketing arena such as infoproductmarketing, ebookresellerkit, reprintrightsmarketing, along with many other successful websites (and a few failures along the way). Allan has also authored numerous ebooks, owned and operated membership sites, created eLearning courses, and more.