Disclosure: We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
What Is a Pencil Skirt?
A pencil skirt is a slim-fitting skirt with a straight, narrow cut. This is an extremely versatile piece of clothing that can be worn to work or to an evening event. The classic pencil skirt has a length that ends at the knee, but it can also be worn as a mini or above-the-knee skirt.
There are many reasons why the pencil skirt is so popular and it is one of the most common items in any woman’s wardrobe.
- Pencil skirts provide a glamorous silhouette, no matter what size you are. It also hides any imperfections on your legs and waist, which makes it ideal for adding shape to your body. Because of this, pencil skirts are often considered the “magic” solution for women who want to look slimmer instantly!
- They come in many different styles, including plain skirts and those with pleats, gathers, or frills around the waistband. Some even have pockets on the side seams. These variations allow you to choose the style you like best.
- Tight pencil skirts are perfect for creating curves and showing off your legs as they draw attention upward toward your face. They emphasize your waistline and give you a sleek silhouette that can make you look taller and leaner!
- The pencil skirt is a long and slim-fitting skirt, which is suitable for office wear. A pencil skirt is the shortest style of the three skirt types. The other two are the A-line skirt and the full-length skirt.
- A pencil skirt usually adds to your height, giving you an air of sophistication and elegance. It can also be worn by all body shapes but is mainly recommended for pear, apple, or hourglass-shaped women as it accentuates your figure. This piece of clothing also tends to make your legs look longer and leaner while being more flattering than other types of skirts that may add unnecessary bulk to your lower half.
Let’s look into these skirts in more detail…
Why Are Pencil Skirts So Attractive?
Have you ever wondered why pencil skirts are so popular in the fashion world? It’s because they’re flattering to almost everyone who wears them. The pencil skirt is just as stylish as it is practical, and it’s a great way to enhance your outfit while still being comfortable enough to wear on a daily basis.
The pencil skirt is one of the most popular women’s clothing items and several reasons make them so attractive. The pencil skirt has been around for many years and it has stood the test of time. It is a classic style that never seems to go out of fashion. In addition, there are many variations of this skirt that continue to be produced in a variety of fabrics and colors.
It’s rare to see a skirt that looks good on everyone, but the pencil skirt is one of them. It comes in sexy, modest, and everything in between. It can be dressed up or down with ease. It flatters every body type and skin tone, with a flattering fit and flare silhouette.
The pencil skirt is by far one of the most versatile pieces of clothing you can own. You can layer it over tights to create an A-line look, or over shorts for a more casual summer look, or wear it as it is for work or play.
When it comes down to it, there are two main reasons why the pencil skirt is so popular: comfort and style. Whether you’re wearing a pencil skirt to work or out for an evening with friends, you can be confident that you’re looking great. If you’ve never owned a pencil skirt before, below are a few reasons why this type of skirt is perfect for anyone’s wardrobe.
Who Can Wear a Pencil Skirt?
A pencil skirt is a narrow skirt with a straight, vertical cut. This skirt is usually knee-length or just above the knee and has a fitted waistband that nips in the waist, hence the term “pencil” to describe its shape.
If you’re wondering what pencil skirt style will suit you best, then take a look at your body shape and height to determine which silhouette is most appropriate for your figure.
What Body Shape Can Wear a Pencil Skirt?
Unlike many other types of skirts that might be too short or show too much skin, the pencil skirt sits just above the knee and has enough fabric to cover your legs from top to bottom. Because of this, it doesn’t matter if you’re tall or short; as long as your legs are appropriately covered, you’ll look great in a pencil skirt.
- Pencil skirts are often worn in business settings, but they also look great in casual office environments. Your pencil skirt can be paired with a blazer, cardigan, or sweater to add a business-like vibe to your outfit. They are also an excellent alternative to straight-cut skirts and jeans at a casual work event.
- Pencil skirts are available in many different fabrics. The most typical fabric for pencil skirts is wool but you can purchase them in denim, linen, silk, and more!
- Do you want your legs to look longer or shorter? You might choose a pencil skirt with slits or pleats if you want to flaunt those gams! Do you need something that won’t add bulk to your hips? A pencil skirt with side panels will do the trick!
Are Pencil Skirts Good for Apple Shape?
Pencil skirts are in fashion and it would be hard for us to come across a woman who does not own at least a couple of pencil skirts. There is something about them that draws our attention to them, the shape and texture perhaps. But do you know if pencil skirts are good for Apple shapes?
Tailoring your wardrobe to your body shape is always a good thing to do. If you are an apple shape and you want to wear pencil skirts, there are certain things you need to give consideration to before wearing one because pencil skirts can make an apple body look even bigger.
It’s important that you choose the right length of pencil skirt because if they are too short they will emphasize the width of your hips and thighs. A couple of inches above the knees will be perfect for any apple-shaped woman.
You should also consider wearing a belt with your pencil skirt because this will draw attention away from your hips and thighs and towards your waist area.
Pencil skirts without belts can also look good on apples but you should ensure that they fit perfectly otherwise they can make you look bigger than you actually are. Pencil skirts with pockets can help balance out your figure as well as elongate your body so make sure that any pencil skirt you buy has pockets.
Can You Wear a Pencil Skirt If You Have a Tummy?
Tummy troubles? No problem! The pencil skirt has long been known as one of the most flattering skirt styles for women with curves. I think it’s because it skims the body in all the right places, hiding anything you might want to hide, and showing off your best features.
The pencil skirt looks amazing with heels but can be dressed down with a pair of flats or even boots. They look great with blouses tucked in or worn over the top. They are perfect for day to evening wear, they can be used in the office or out on the town.
- Be realistic about your body type: If you have a bigger tummy consider going for a slightly fuller skirt that hides your trouble areas rather than accentuates them.
- Keep it simple: Choose a classic style in black or grey so that it can be worn anywhere and with anything. Opt for a knee-length skirt if you have bigger hips/thighs – this will elongate your legs and make them look slimmer.
How Tight Is a Pencil Skirt?
A pencil skirt is a very slender skirt that hugs the body, making it a popular choice for business and formal wear. (Pencil skirts are often worn with hose and heels.) The skirt gets its name because it’s narrow in the front and relatively wider at the bottom.
The tightness of a pencil skirt depends on its length and its waistband. Picking the right pencil skirt can be tricky because a too-tight pencil skirt could be uncomfortable, while a loose pencil skirt may not create the desired effect.
The length of the pencil skirt is one of the most important factors since it determines how the skirt will hang on your body. The longer the pencil skirt, the slimmer you look; conversely, short skirts make you appear curvier. Short skirts tend to draw attention to your lower body but can be more comfortable in warm weather climates. Longer pencil skirts are better suited for colder weather because they keep your legs warmer.
Pencil skirts come in a variety of waistband styles: Some feature a fitted waistband that helps define your figures, such as those with an elastic band or drawstring. Others have a tiered waistband, like a wraparound miniskirt. And then there are those with no waistband at all—the fabric just rests directly on top of your hip bones.
Be aware that pencil skirts with a fitted waistband are best suited for those with small waists or those who are very thin. Others should choose skirts with an elastic band or drawstring waistband.
In general, pencil skirts that have elastic bands or drawstrings gather around the waist and fall straight down from there to just above your knee. If you’re petite, stick to pencils with straight-cut legs between 7 and 9 inches long; anything longer can make you look even shorter. Those who are taller should wear pencils with tapered or flared legs, which makes your legs seem longer.
Tapered pencil skirts are especially flattering on tall women because they add height and elegance to the silhouette without being overpowering.
How Do I Sit on the Floor While Wearing a Tight Pencil Skirt?
If you’re wearing a pencil skirt to work, you’ll likely find yourself in a situation where you’ll have to sit on the floor at some point. It happens. But when it does, you want to do it with class and grace.
While it’s true that there is no real “right” way to sit on the floor in a pencil skirt, here are my tips for doing it with ease and elegance:
- Sit on your heels with your skirt spread out around you. Do not perch on your toes!
- Use one hand to smooth down the skirt as you would when you sit on a chair.
- Using the other hand, hold down the front of your skirt as you settle cross-legged on the floor. Keep your knees together while doing so.
- Lastly, try to angle yourself away from the people around you so they can’t see up your skirt. Don’t worry about this too much if you’re sitting across from someone and there’s no way for them to see up your skirt unless they have an extendable mirror!
Wear heels or wedges — or both — so that you don’t have to scrunch up your knees too much; this will help keep your skirt from riding up your calves.
If you’re sitting cross-legged, make sure your knees are a little bit open so that your skirt isn’t scrunched up between them (you can thank me later for this one).
While sitting on the floor, do not stretch out your legs straight; instead, bend them at the knee and rest the lower leg against the other leg.
Are Pencil Skirts Slimming?
A pencil skirt is a slim-fitting skirt with a straight, narrow cut. It is named for its resemblance to the lead of a pencil and is popularly known as a “pencil skirt.” Pencil skirts come in a variety of lengths, including mini, above-the-knee, midi, and tea-length.
The style was created to streamline women’s bodies, making them appear more slender from the waist down. The design made thighs and knees look smaller and helped create the illusion that women were taller than they actually were. This was important because at the time very few women were wearing heels.
A pencil skirt is a slim-fitting skirt with a narrow hemline. It just skims the body, creating a slim silhouette that is very flattering to anyone who wears it. It is one of the most popular items of clothing for women and when worn correctly it can create an hourglass figure, even on those who do not have curves.
It is one of the most versatile garments in any woman’s wardrobe. Whether you are wearing it for work or for play, its versatility makes it a must-have item of clothing for every woman.
The pencil skirt has been associated with powerful women throughout history; it has even been called the “ultimate feminist uniform.” The classic look first gained popularity in the 1950s — when women wanted to show that they could be both feminine and professional — then again in the 1960s through today.
How Hard Is It to Walk in a Pencil Skirt?
The pencil skirt is a very slim-fitting skirt style that follows the shape of your body from your waist to just below your knees. Though there is a great demand for this kind of skirt among fashionable women, it has its own set of problems too.
The biggest problem with wearing a pencil skirt is that you can’t walk normally while wearing one. You will find it very difficult to move around without tripping over the hemline of your skirt or without revealing too much of your legs.
It also depends on the length of your stride. A long stride requires a lot more movement, so it’s harder to maintain your composure with a longer skirt.
If you have long legs, wear heels for more support. If you’re on carpeted surfaces or working in an office building that’s carpeted throughout, consider wearing thigh-highs with your skirt to help keep it from rising too high as you walk from place to place.
Here are some tips that might make you feel a little bit better about yourself as you attempt to gracefully walk around in a pencil skirt:
- Padding: Since pencil skirts aren’t super forgiving, padding can help fill out the hips without adding bulk elsewhere on your body. Pad waist cinchers can be purchased at any specialty lingerie store, and they can give the illusion of curves in all the right places.
- Tights: Thigh-highs aren’t just for looking pretty — they actually help keep your skirt up while making walking a lot easier. Just make sure your tights fit well for a more streamlined look.
- Tuck it in: If your skirt is just too short, like the ones that come with miniskirts, try tucking your shirt into it to avoid flashing your thighs as you walk.
What Should You Wear with a Pencil Skirt?
To get the most out of your pencil skirt, wear it with a complementary top or shirt like a blouse or a shirt and match it with some heels or flats depending on what look you want to achieve.
A top that is too clingy or too baggy can throw off the look of your pencil skirt. It is best to select something in between that fits in a flattering way. You do not want the top to be too loose such that it makes the skirt look frumpy or shapeless. You also do not want your top to be so tight that it accentuates any unflattering curves you may have around your midsection area.
The first thing you want to do when choosing a top is determine what kind of neckline you like best on yourself. The options range from v-neck which shows off some cleavage, scoop necks which are more modest, and even high necklines which show little skin at all. Whatever option you choose should not be so low that it will expose you when bending over.
If you want to show off your body, then choose high heels, but if you are looking for comfort and easy mobility on any given day, then opt for flats or wedges instead. You can also accessorize this basic piece in various ways like adding a belt or a scarf to complete your look.
The most basic way to wear a pencil skirt is with a solid-colored top — either one that falls below the waist (so it won’t peek out from under your skirt) or one that hits at the waistline. For example, if you have on a black pencil skirt, try pairing it with an off-white cotton tank top and flat ballet flats.
If you’re looking to make your outfit more interesting, add details like color, texture, and pattern. A printed blouse can be layered over a T-shirt; try pairing a black pencil skirt with an orange tank top and brown wedges for a fun, summery look.
Can You Wear Flats with a Pencil Skirt?
The first step is to consider what kind of look you want to achieve. Do you want to look professional? Casual? Sexy? Depending on your desired look, you need to choose the appropriate shoe for your pencil skirt. Heels will add polish and formality to your outfit but can also make you uncomfortable if you’re not used to wearing them.
Flats will create a casual look but may not be suitable for some settings (for example, an interview). Make sure that you choose a pair of shoes that best reflect your desired look.
So, can you wear flats with a pencil skirt? The answer is yes, but the look that you achieve will depend on your desired outfit and any other accessories that you choose to complement the look. If you want to dress your outfit down, choose flats. However, if you want to dress it up a bit more, heels will work better.
Can I Wear Pencil Skirt with Sneakers?
Yes, you can wear a pencil skirt with sneakers. Not only that, it’s been a hot fashion duet in recent years. You should wear the right kind of sneakers that are not too sporty and match the style of your pencil skirt.
- Choose a pair of sneakers that has a cut similar to your pencil skirt, like high-top, low-top or mid-top sneakers. Don’t choose a pair of sneakers that is too sporty, you might give people the impression that you’re trying too hard.
- Choose a pair of heel height that suits your feet and your outfit. If you choose the right heel height, it can make your legs seem longer and slimmer.
- Match the laces of your sneakers and pencil skirt with each other if possible. For example, if you use red laces for your sneaker, also use red laces for your pencil skirt so they will match well together.
- If possible, match the material of your pencil skirt and sneakers together as well. If you choose a pencil skirt made of denim fabric, also choose a sneaker made of denim fabric or leather material so they will match with each other.
Pairing a pencil skirt with sneakers may seem like a no-no, but it doesn’t have to be that way. The key to pulling off the look is to make sure the skirt is tailored enough to balance out the casualness of the sneaker. If you have a pencil skirt with a mid-thigh hemline or longer, then you can get away with wearing sneakers without looking like you just got out of bed and threw on whatever was in your closet.
In summary, Pencil skirts are one of the most flattering and versatile pieces in a woman’s closet. They are easy to wear and look great no matter what your body shape or height is. You can dress them up or down, depending on the occasion.