A recumbent bike that has a high weight capacity is the perfect exercise machine for heavy people of all ages. They are way more comfortable, much easier on your joints (and your delicate area mentioned below), and way easier to get on and off.
This makes these machines not only good for obese people but for elderly people as well and if you are fat and old (like me) then the recumbent exercise bike is definitely the best way to go.
Recumbent exercise bikes are way more suitable for overweight people than a normal exercise bike. You will experience way more comfort and in particular, will not suffer from agonizing butt pain. Read my article about this problem here to see what I’m talking about… Best Stationary Bike For A Heavy Person: No More Tailbone Pain
Of course, everyone has a different idea about what fat and heavy are. I remember seeing a meme that said… “I wish I was as fat as the first time of thought I was fat.” Oh… how true!
I was very strict with my criteria for the bikes to make it onto the best-of list. Anything good (60% or above 5-star rating) wasn’t good enough. I included the excellent raters (70% or above 5-star reviews).
In searching for the best recumbent bike for big people there was a couple that had 500 lb weight capacity but they either had poor ratings or almost zero sales. A few more at 400 lbs but they didn’t rate higher enough either.
So the highest weight limit to make it is 380lbs.
The most important thing was how many large people said they were using the machine with no issues. So let’s look at the recumbent bikes that made the cut and see what people had to say about them.
A quick summary of what you will find below:
|My Top Pick||While only listed at number 3 below the Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike completely blew me away! While this bike is only rated at 300 lbs it had by far the most comments from heavy people who were delighted with this recumbent bike. With many of them well over the weight limit and as high as 400 lbs.|
|380 lb||The Vanswe Recumbent Exercise Bike is rated at 380 lbs and has the best rating (although they are all very close). Overweight people confirm it is an excellent recumbent bicycle.|
|350 Lb||The second-highest weight capacity on my list below is the Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Exercise Bike. It also has excellent ratings and people as high as 424 lb saying it has worked well for them.|
|300 Lb||There is a number of excellent choices in the 300 lb range including my top pick above. The Schwinn Recumbent Bike Series also has plenty of large and heavy people sing its praises. The other 2 bikes rate well but have very few large people leaving comments.|
380 Lbs Weight Limit – Recumbent Exercise Bike
Now, this is the best recumbent bike for obese people with the highest weight capacity at 380 lbs. It has an excellent 73% of reviewers rating it 5 out of 5 stars.
This unique recumbent exercise bike can help with a low-impact cardio workout. Built with a fully adjustable seat that can fit a wide range of sizes and shapes, this bike helps get the blood flowing and burn calories throughout the day.
Example of comments from Vanswe reviews:
My wife suffers from Myositis (statin induced) and I’m a big guy…350. This is one of the only bikes we saw that would support me so I can lose this weight…and that it does….at a fraction of the cost of other bikes that were NOT rated for me.
- I am just over 5 feet and my son is 6’1″ and we both are able to adjust this bike to fit our heights and use it without any problems.
- The bike is sturdy and easily supports 250 lbs. or more.
- I weigh about 350 lbs. The weight capacity on this machine is 380 lbs. Just right for me.
- Very sturdy. Easily handles my 260 lbs.
- I like that it is rated for 380 lbs as I weigh 300 and needed the extra capacity until I can lose some weight.
- Great bike! I’m 5’7 340 lbs and I am able to use it just fine. The seat is comfortable.
- I love this bike. Being I’m 380 lbs 5’10” it supports my weight with no problem.
- Heavy-duty construction for a heavy dude.
- I’m 350lbs+ and I must say the seat on this bike beats most recumbent bikes for home use.
- It’s very sturdy, even for a big guy, such as myself.
- Good bike for a big guy to lose some weight on.
- It supports my 300lb 6-foot tall butt great.
- I’m 5’9 and 350 and the bike is great for me, so great for big and tall people as well.
- Holds my large frame well with 0 creakings! Comfortable enough seat and great place to rest my phone while cycling.
- I was slightly over the suggested weight limit yet I’ve had no problems with feeling insecure about the bike supporting me.
- The seat is wide, the backrest is adequate both are fairly comfortable.
- I’m close to the weight limit and I don’t feel nervous that this will break.
- Usually, seats are small and hurt your butt at my size, but this one is truly decent and I have very wide thighs. It is definitely PLUS SIZE friendly.
350 Lbs Weight Limit – Recumbent Exercise Bike
This one has the second-highest weight capacity at 350 lbs. It has an excellent 70% of reviewers rating it 5 out of 5 stars.
The Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Exercise Bike, 350lb is about as simple as an exercise bike can get. The seat and handlebars are adjustable, and the bike includes a basic display with time, speed, distance, and heart rate information.
It features eight levels of magnetic resistance, which is controlled by a dial on the console. If you’re looking for bells and whistles like a tablet holder or fan, you may want to look elsewhere.
However, if all you’re after is a solid recumbent exercise bike that won’t break your butt, this provides a comfortable workout…
Example of comments from Sunny Health reviews:
I love this bike I am 418lbs I was 424lbs when I got the bike on 7/28/19 with no diet I have lost weight. it is easy to ride and very sturdy and yes my weight is well over the recommended weight capacity but it holds up great.
- The seat pad, backrest, and adjustment positions are very comfortable (I am 350 LBS).
- I am a 6′-2″ male, approximately 260 lbs. and I use this bike quite comfortably.
- The seat is big and accommodating unlike other bikes but you might need extra cushioning.
- Heavy-duty construction for a big guy like me.
- Great Big seat and keeping your back straight makes it very easy to work out!
- I am 5 ft 11 in, 295 lbs. I like that it is quiet and smooth in motion. I found the seat and back adequate for a big guy.
- This bike is amazing. I am extremely obese and worried it would not support me in my journey but I took a chance anyway. I am so glad I did. Very sturdy and I ride farther each day.
- The wide seat is great and very comfortable for me; no further cushioning is needed.
Best 300 Lbs Weight Limit – Recumbent Exercise Bike
This is the first with a weight capacity of 300 lbs. There are always more choices at this weight range. It has an excellent 71% of reviewers rating it 5 out of 5 stars.
Enjoy the comfort of home with the Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike. With an adjustable seat and backrest, this exercise bike allows you to pedal and work out in a position that is most comfortable for you.
Marcy’s 300 lb Recumbent Exercise Bike is made with a heavy-duty steel frame for durability. It includes 8 levels of magnetic resistance to help tone muscles and make your workout more effective…
Example of comments from Marcy reviews:
(I am over 300 lbs). So I decided to buy the Marcy recumbent bike to try. I am very happy with the new bike. I have been using it daily for average of 2 hours a day. The large seat is comfortable. I can work out easily for 60-90 minutes in one sit down.
- I’m 5’11” and weigh 200 lbs and it’s plenty sturdy.
- As with any fat guy, weight is always a consideration when buying workout equipment. But oh yeah – me at 330 lbs – this thing is extremely sturdy and supportive. I would feel comfortable using this at 365 lbs!
- I’m also 350 lbs., so I was worried I’d just crush this bike in the first week. But the cost was so low, and the reviews so good, I took a chance. Turns out the bike is everything I needed.
- Impressed and I weigh 260 lbs!
- My wife and I are both in our 70’s and did it easily. I am 6’3 and weigh 234 lb. It works perfectly. It can adjust for different users.
- Very stable. I’m 6’3” and 275 lbs. and it carries me very well.
- The bike is so quiet I can hardly hear a revolution. I am 6-3, 225 lbs and I fit very well.
- I was skeptical a budget buy like this would support a larger person (320 lbs/145kg), but it has performed very well.
- Big guy 350 lbs. Able to adjust settings with ease. Easy to assemble. Quiet and smooth low impact.
- I’ve used this bike for a half-hour a day every day for a year and a half. I can say for sure that this thing will take you from 400 lbs to 300 lbs and stays comfortable the whole time.
We are both big people who individually weigh close to 300 lbs each–I am 5’9″ and he is 6’5″. The Marcy stands up to the rigors of our substantial body sizes and is quite comfortable to sit on with padding that is very thick on both the seat and back supports!
- I’m 6’1″ and 250 lbs and this has been comfortable to use and has withstood heavy workouts.
- My husband is 6’3″ 240 lbs., and has not had any issues with the machine’s durability or maximum legroom.
- Heavy-duty holds my 240 lb butt no problem.
- Will definitely accommodate a 300 lb individual.
- This bike is super comfortable and quiet. I am 6’ 4” and currently 266 lbs. This bike is very accommodating.
- I’m 6 ft tall 215 lbs, this is a superbike; solid — highly recommend.
- I weigh over 300 lbs and this works just fine for me.
- Works well for my 400 lb brother!!!!
- At 350 lbs now, I was worried about making a bad purchase. Let me tell you that for the price this unit is excellent. Sturdy enough to hold me, long enough to sit my 5’8″ frame.
- Ok all you chubby people, get on it. I’m 68 yrs old, 305 lbs, and getting my legs back.
I got a big butt so normal bikes usually put me in a world of hurt. This bike is great. like I really love it. Easy to assemble, pretty quiet, comfortable if you’re apart of the big booty crew, and yeah all in all it’s great
- I’m a large woman and this bike works great for me.
- It says the weight limit is less than what I weigh, but the thing is made from steel, not plastic, and is very sturdy.
- The seat is comfy for my big butt, and the ride is nice.
- It’s comfortable (I’m a big guy), quiet, and it’s easy to fine-tune the resistance.
- Good value, great for a big guy.
- Nice big seat so you can pedal for a long time.
- My dad is a big guy and with knee issues and he’s able to use it as well.
- I am a big guy, 300 plus and this can handle my weight and gives me a great workout with different tensions.
- Great for y’all big people like me and my husband. No stepping over anything.
- Fantastic Bike! Great for Large people.
I’m an over weight 56 yr old guy that needed to get moving this bike is perfect plenty of resistance comfortable seating and very sturdy but the customer service is great highly recommend this bike and company.
- I’m one of those extra-large people who is definitely out of shape. This was a perfect way for me to “get back on a bike” with ease.
- It’s easy to step into and roomy enough for a large person.
- I am a very large woman using it to move my bad knees without bearing any weight … and I couldn’t be happier with how it works.
- I’m not going to tell my weight but it is pushing the max stated on this bike and there is plenty of room on the seat for me and it feels secure.
- I am 380 pounds and have no problem. The seat is more than big enough. The weight does not seem to be a problem either.
- Love it and it holds my weight of 405 with no issues!
- I am 6 ft 2 weight 380, and this bike is so sturdy.
- It holds the weight of 319 without an issue.
- Don’t let that fool you though as it has a weight capacity of 300 lbs and it’s sturdy with a heavier gauge frame; I believe it could easily support 300 lbs.
- The seat weight limit is 300 lbs but I exceed that and 1 month of heavy use no pun intended it is holding up well!
300 Lbs Weight Limit – MaxKare Recumbent Exercise Bike
This is another impressive recumbent bike with a 300 lb weight limit. It has an excellent 71% of reviewers rating it 5 out of 5 stars.
MaxKare Recumbent Exercise Bike Indoor Cycling Stationary Bike is a new idea of indoor cycling bike, which is designed for both females and males and many people love it just because of its beautiful appearance.
This bike has many functions, there are two handlebars for you to adjust the height of them, you can also adjust the position of pedals to satisfy the needs of your foot, and you will feel more comfortable when you exercise. This bike has a big LCD screen to display the time of your workout, RPM, distance, and calories…
Example of comments from MaxKare reviews:
Got this bike for my dad who is 85, and has some balance issues. He is 5′ 11″ and 186 lbs, so he’s a big guy, but the bike is a very nice fit for him. He’s really happy with it.
- The bike has some real heft and a quality feel about it. I am 235 lbs. and it feels really solid riding.
- Good for heavy seniors.
- The build is very good and does not flex, creak, or give in any direction (I weigh 255 lbs).
- I am 300 pounds and this handles my weight just great. It is very solid and sturdy.
- The bike is sturdy with a wide seat and extremely quiet.
300 Lbs Weight Limit – Schwinn Recumbent Exercise Bike
The Schwinn recumbent bike with a 300 lb weight limit has an excellent 70% of reviewers rating it 5 out of 5 stars.
The Schwinn 270 recumbent bike features a large 27″x57″ Schwinn Biofit 3D seat that promotes proper posture inspired by the movement of an upright riding position, with an intuitive console for quick and easy programming of up to 29 workout apps.
This feature-packed model offers 12 profile programs including 4 custom, 9 heart rate control, and 4 fitness tests with 2 quick starts. It also has 29 workout apps to choose from, allowing you to create your ideal workout.
It’s the perfect tool for your at-home fitness program or as the centerpiece of your new home gym…
Example of comments from Schwinn reviews:
I am 6’2″ 380lbs. I was having a hard time finding a bike that would work for me. This one does. Yes the manufacturer recommends a max weight of 300lbs, but the bike is very sturdy and works well for me.
- It’s Quiet, comfortable well built, and stable. I’m 210 lbs. 5’8” and 65 yrs old.
- I am very pleased with the bike. I am 6 feet 2 and weigh over 250 lbs.
- This bike is so quiet and smooth it’s amazing. I am 6’4″ and 240 lbs and it works great for me.
- It is working out nicely, accommodating my 6’4″ 215 lbs frame with ease.
- Very comfortable for both me (280 lbs) and wife (97lbs)
- It is well made and can easily support 300 lbs.
- I’m a big guy at 230 pounds but the thing is rock solid on my rides of at least thirty minutes each.
- My hubby is a big guy at 6ft 3 and he still has a little room on it if he were taller.
- Good for big and tall people.
- As a 6’2″ 300 lb male, I wanted a recumbent bike that did not shake, was solid construction, and gave me enough leg length for safe and proper movement. This bike fits the bill perfectly.
- The seat is large and comfortable. The bike pedals smoothly.
- Being a tall guy (6’4″) it is hard to find an exercise bike that fits me. This one is perfect with a large seat and strong back support. Easy to program and adjust to almost any size person (wife is 5’3″).
- The large seat gives it an advantage for most people seeking moderate exercise.
- I’m fat. 5’10”, 300lbs… I’m a guy, with a wide frame so I am always worried about “fit” with things. No issues with this bike.
300 Lbs Weight Limit – Nautilus Recumbent Exercise Bike
The Nautilus recumbent bike with a 300 lb weight limit has an excellent 71% of reviewers rating it 5 out of 5 stars.
The Nautilus Series Recumbent Bike acts as a low-impact, full-body strength trainer to help you reach your fitness goals. The oversized seat is padded, and the back has a ventilated design that helps keep you cool and comfortable while pedaling. You can even control the bike’s various built-in programs with the console…
Example of comments from Nautilus reviews:
I am a little over the max weight recommendation and it still works perfectly on me I never doubted the machine at all and being a taller person I never felt cramped either
- If you are a big guy looking for a sturdy bike that won’t bankrupt you, or you just want a super reliable bike, this is a great choice.
- Superior Quality Big Person approved.
- I’m a large person (slightly over the max weight) for now and about 6 feet tall. It fits me!
- Adjusting the seat is real easy, it’s a wide seat and comfortable.
In summary, if you’re looking for a way to reduce the impact your workouts have on your joints, a recumbent exercise bike may be right for you.
Designed to mimic the feel of riding a bicycle, these stationary cycles are typically used during aerobic workouts and feature a chair-like seat that allows you to maintain an upright posture while pedaling.
Since your back and buttocks are in a more natural position, the risk of experiencing upper-body injuries is reduced.
It’s more effective to use a recumbent exercise bike rather than a stationary bike. It provides more support for your back, neck, and abdominal muscles.
When using a recumbent exercise bike, you will be working your hamstrings, glutes, quads, and calf muscles. (If you are over 6 feet, this would be your best option.) You also won’t be straining your back, neck, or abdominal muscles. That means less pain and better results.
All of the bikes above have excellent ratings but as I mentioned the huge volume of comments made by big people about how good the Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike really made it stand it.
You may also be interested in… Best Indoor Exercise Bike For Seniors (Easy To Get On & Off)