The Rancilio brand has an excellent reputation for producing fabulous coffee machines and grinders for commercial and home use…
In fact, Rancilio is a leader in the Horeca industry.
What is Horeca?
I’m glad you asked… Horeca is a Dutch word (maybe with a French connection) used for describing the food service and hotel industries.
Now get this when we break down the abbreviations of this word:
The good news for non-business owners is Rancilio has an excellent range of coffee machines designed for using in the home and because they specialize in supplying businesses with these machines you get to enjoy the benefits of a commercial-grade machine.
As always let’s take a look at some of the best-selling Rancilio products and see what customers think about the brand and its products…
Introducing The Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine (AKA: Miss Silvia)
The Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine has excellent ratings with 76% of reviewers rating it 5 out of 5 stars. The Rancilio Silvia shares many of the features of commercial espresso machines, but at a fraction of the price…
What Do Customers Love About The Rancilio Silvia
Example of comments from Rancilio Silvia reviews:
I really appreciate that we don’t have to go to the local coffee shop anymore and are saving money.
- By far this is the best quality build.
- It makes my daily cappuccino perfect.
- Clean up is a snap.
- We LOVE this machine and are so grateful for its existence; as it helps mama and papa bear every morning turn into humans!
- Makes the best lattes.
- Very good espresso… I think the price is affordable too.
- I love this machine, makes excellent espresso or cappuccino.
- You have to really want to hurt this machine to break it. It is a tank, a solidly built machine, made from components of the commercial machines that Rancilio makes.
- It’s also very attractive.
- Makes an amazing shot of espresso (even without temp surfing)
- Awesome steaming ability. It really feels like a commercial machine on the steam side, and microfoam is a cinch.
- What caught my attention were comments from people who had owned the unit for many trouble-free years
Is The Rancilio Silvia Worth The Money?
Example of comments from Rancilio Silvia reviews:
This machine is in a class by itself, so much better than any other espresso maker that I had before – I forgot their brand names, they were all in the $200 class and were not worth the money you paid for it. This machine on the other hand is what I should have gotten in the first place. Money well spent!
- It’s totally worth the money (my advice is not to buy the cheap machines–you always end up replacing them later).
- Totally worth the money if you love a good espresso.
- It’s an investment you won’t regret. I LOVE IT!
- Seriously, guys, you’re looking at the best machine for this price range.
- Awesome espresso machine from Italy and well worth the $$$.
- This is definitely worth every penny you will spend on it, just make sure you marry it with a good grinder to experience the full capabilities of this machine.
- The shot quality makes the machine worth every penny of its price.
- If you haven’t already, it’s about time you start your love affair with Miss Silvia. She is certainly worth the investment!
Rancilio Silvia: Final Summary
The Rancilio is by far the best machine out there under $700. Initially I wanted to spend less, but after trying both the Gaggia Classic and Breville Infusion there was no comparison. The Rancilio Silvia is superior in every way. Pair with a good grinder and this machine is amazing. Produces incredible espresso and steamed milk with perfect consistency.
- Built around an iron frame with stainless steel side panels, the Silvia uses commercial quality Italian components that produce a rich espresso shot. Exceptionally engineered with attention to detail, this machine is perfect for your home.
- The Silvia is an ergonomic espresso machine that has been designed to meet the demands of today’s expert espresso drinkers and guarantee perfect quality every time.
- Its portafilter handle and drip tray match the proven design of this brand’s commercial machines, guaranteeing a particularly long life even under heavy daily use.
- The pressure gauge and steam control knob allow for more precise steaming and frothing, while an articulating steam wand allows you to direct your steam exactly where you need it.
- This Silvia comes with a 7-gram coffee scoop, a plastic tamper, and two filter baskets (single and double).
Now let’s cover some important questions:
|Will you need extra equipment?||For best results, you will need a good grinder – optionally some people also recommend a higher quality tamper.|
|What cup sizes can you use?||This is designed for espresso size shot glasses. Customers confirm you can fit a mug that is about 3.5 inches tall under it. Anything larger will take some ingenuity such as removing the tray. However, it is an espresso machine and designed for espresso cups.|
|Where are Rancilio espresso machines made?||They are made in Italy.|
|What size tamper fits this machine?||You get a plastic tamper supplied with your purchase however if you prefer to purchase a metal tamper the size is 58mm.|
|Can I use pods?||You will need to purchase an adapter if you want to use pods.|
|What about PID?||No. This model does not come equipped with PID.|
|Can this machine make double espresso shots?||Yes. It comes with both single and double-shot filter baskets.|
|What Voltage?||This machine only works with 120 volts.|
|What material is the water tank made from?||It is made from BPA free polypropylene (high-density plastic)|
|What are the product dimensions?||9.2 x 11.4 x 13.3 inches. Weight is 30.8 pounds. (Shipping weight=34 lbs)|
|What is the warranty period?||1-year warranty|
|Is there a learning curve?||Yes. It can take quite a bit of practice to get used to this machine and making great coffee. If you are looking for something automatic this machine is not for you.|
Rancilio Is A Good Brand For Coffee Grinders
The most affordable of Rancilio’s large family of grinders, the Rocky SD is perfect for the home. This espresso grinder has a stainless steel housing and retaining ring.
Its powerful 166-watt motor provides ample grinding capacity, while the 50mm burrs assure near-perfect particle size distribution. Designed to meet the needs of home enthusiasts, this grinder is fully adjustable and easy to use.
The Rancilio Rocky SD coffee grinder is the perfect companion to your Rancilio Silvia coffee machine and has an excellent 70% of reviewers rating it 5 out of 5 stars!
Example of comments from Rancilio Grinder reviews:
I always wanted a stand alone coffee grinder, so after doing my research, I settled on this machine. The results so far are amazing.
- This Rancilio is amazing!!! You can inspect every ground and they are the same.
- My coffee has been taken to the next level.
- This is like having a coffee shop quality grind at home.
- It’s built like a brick house, solid sturdy, and of high quality.
- You won’t be buying another one again so consider it a good investment.
- This thing is small/compact—but solid, strong, and very heavy.
- It purrs—and grinds consistently and beautifully.
- Low rpm motor won’t heat the beans when grinding.
- Easy to access grind chamber for cleaning.
- It’s adjustable for any kind of grind you can think of.
- This may be the most impressive purchase I’ve ever made. 2 years of using it 2-3 times per day, every day and it’s still going strong.
Is Rancilio A Good Brand?
For me, it always comes down to what real buyers and real users have to say about the brand and how they rate their products. Rancilio clearly slots into the excellent category on that basis alone.
However, let’s also itemize what they have to say about themselves and the achievements made by this brand…
|A leading professional:||In the coffee machine industry in Italy and across the globe.|
|Longevity:||Almost a century of experience!|
|A true espresso culture:||Rancilio designs and creates professional coffee machines with technological innovation.|
|They have four powerful brands:||Rancilio, Rancilio Specialists, Egro, and Promac.|
|High Standards:||Both in product quality and customer service.|
|Large Company:||Rancilio now employs more than 300 people worldwide.|
|Two research centers:||Shows how serious they are with research and development. This laboratory work includes 20 specialists.|
|Patents:||This company currently has 26 patents. Another testament to its pursuit of technological innovation.|
|Photovoltaic Panels:||have been installed on their 8000 square meter roof in Italy to harness the energy of the sun.|
|Company Garden:||This allows employees to grow and eat vegetables with zero travel.|
In summary, Rancilio is most certainly a well-established company and a trustworthy brand and the Rancilio Silvia is a shining example of Italian styling and ingenuity.
The only decision to make is whether or not this style of espresso machine is for you.
The burr grinder also just sneaks into my excellent category and if I was buying the Silvia I would get the pair from the same brand.
However, if I was just looking for a burr grinder I think the following would be a better option: Hamilton Beach Coffee Grinder The Easy Pushbutton Coffee Grinder