Can You Mix Square and Round Dinnerware?
Yes. In fact, it is recommended that you mix square and round dinnerware, providing you already have both varieties. Mixing square and round dinnerware and presenting them on the same table is beautiful. Mixing and matching dinnerware adds interest to the meal.
Keep in mind that you don’t have to mix and match your square and round dinnerware the same way for an entire table setting. You can combine them with other designs to create a unique combination for each plate setting.
By combining shapes, sizes, weights, and colors you create a dynamic presentation. For added fun, you can add other pieces such as beverage glasses or serving platters to your settings. Instead of the norm spoons and forks, try mixing them up with different utensils. Bon Appetit.
Should Plates Be Round or Square?
It really depends on your personal preferences. Both round and square plates have their own set of pros and cons.
- Round plates are more traditional and they are the most common you can get. With these, you don’t have to worry about the materials or design ever because they are available in numerous options. However, they offer less surface as compared to square plates and they may also be a bit difficult to stack.
- Square plates on the other hand are a more modern choice and they are more efficient in terms of handling the food. They stack easier and fit better in your cupboard space.
In the end, the choice is yours and you will need to take several factors into consideration when selecting one, e.g. sitting arrangements, the shape of your table, the dishes you are preparing, and more.
How Do You Combine Dinnerware?
There are no hard-and-fast rules when it comes to combining dinnerware. However, there are general guidelines that can help if you are not sure how to proceed.
- Coordinating colors, for instance, is one of the most common ways to mix and match dinnerware. If you want to create a graphic feel, simply mix bowls and plates in contrasting colors for the table setting.
- Apart from colors, you should also consider the texture and weight of the dinnerware.
There are many other considerations, but ultimately, you should experiment to find the combination that creates the mood that you wish to set.
Be intentional about finding items that you like and stick with a basic style. Most people mix and match modern and sleek dinnerware with a little touch of traditional elements to create an elegant combination.
Can You Mix and Match Charger Plates?
Yes. However, it’s a bit more difficult than combining other dinnerware items. So, if it’s your first time mixing and matching charger plates, it is highly recommended that you keep it simple.
- You can use patterned charger plates with classic white ones to create an impactful presentation.
- If you have larger charger plates featuring decorative patterns, you can combine them with a color of your choice pulled from your other dinnerware items.
- Or, simply use solid-color charger plates with exotic charger plates to create a sophisticated look. If you choose to do this, then make sure that the solid charger plate color matches the color of your other dinnerware items.
When mixing and matching charger plates, you basically want to make sure that the combination complements the décor of your table and adds visual interest to your entire table setting.
Do Plates Have to Match?
Yes, at least one aspect of plates should match, be it color, shape, pattern, or something else. If you want to create an elegant table setting, then it would be a good idea to mix and match plates based on their patterns, silhouettes, or colors.
For example, you can stack plates of the same color but different shapes (e.g. scalloped, round, oval, square, etc.) to add a visual appeal to your table setting.
If you don’t have a lot of diverse pieces to work with, you can still mix and match based on a single element. For instance, you can mix and match metals in your dinnerware or pair traditional pieces with modern items.
If you have the same kind of plates, then you should space them evenly and layer them into mismatched pieces. When it comes to layering mismatched plates, it’s important to ensure that they all have the same size.
In summary, mixing and matching both square and round dinnerware is a great way to add visual interest to the table. You have plenty of options to consider when mixing and matching your square and round dinnerware. Just keep in mind that you don’t need to go overboard with the combination or match them all together.
Your guests will appreciate having something different on their plates but don’t make it so different that guests will be confused about which dishes are for their use.