If you have a new baby, you know the importance of buying (or making) a bassinet that is comfortable and safe for your child’s needs…
For example, if you have a newborn, you may want to consider using a cradle or bassinet instead of placing your little one in a crib… You can also use these options to keep your baby close by during night feedings.
However, it’s no secret that some bassinets tend to be less comfortable than others… Fortunately, there are ways to make any bassinet more comfortable for your newborn.
Choose a bassinet that is comfortable for you. Some parents like the convenience of a foldable bassinet… Others prefer a traditional bassinet or a mobile one… Whichever type you choose, it should be easy for you to assemble and disassemble… It should also be easy to move around the room with you as your baby grows up.
Choose a bassinet that has good ventilation. A bassinet should have air vents so that air can circulate freely within the room… Some models have fans on top as well so that fresh air can be circulated within the room as well… Check with the manufacturer if they provide this feature.
Choose a comfortable mattress and bedding set. Bassinets usually come with their own mattresses, but you might want to look into buying one that is better suited to your baby’s needs… While some babies will sleep better on firmer mattresses, others will need something softer such as memory foam or latex foam mattresses.
Let’s look at 12 ways to make a bassinet more comfortable…
12 Ideas to Make a Bassinet More Comfortable
When you’re a new parent, the last thing you want to do is spend a lot of money on a bassinet since your baby will only use it for a few months… However, that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to make the bassinet more comfortable.
Here are 10 ideas for making a crib or bassinet more comfortable:
1…. Choose the ideal place for your bassinet
The ideal place to put a bassinet for the most comfort for the baby is in the parents’ bedroom. It is recommended to place the bassinet within arm’s reach of the parent’s bed — as this allows for easy access to the baby for feeding, comforting, and monitoring.
In general… it is best to keep the bassinet on a flat and stable surface, away from windows, curtains, and other potential hazards. The room should also be well-ventilated and at a comfortable temperature for the baby.
If the parents do not have enough space in their bedroom for a bassinet — it can also be placed in a nearby room that is easily accessible from the parent’s bedroom. However… it is important to ensure that the baby is within close proximity to the parents at all times — as this can help to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
2…. Add a fitted sheet
Many bassinets don’t come with sheets so if yours didn’t either, don’t sweat it — just add one! It will look nicer, be easier to clean and give you peace of mind by keeping blanket fibers away from the baby’s nose and mouth…
Buying a set of sheets for your bassinet is an easy way to make it more comfortable for your little one. The sheets will help protect the mattress from any dirt and grime… Plus, they add extra cushioning, so it feels softer against the baby’s skin.
Adding fitted sheets to a bassinet can improve comfort for the baby in several ways:
- Softness: Fitted sheets provide a soft and comfortable surface for the baby to sleep on, helping to keep them comfortable and cozy.
- Protection: Fitted sheets can protect the bassinet’s mattress from spills, leaks, and other accidents, helping to keep it clean and hygienic.
- Fit: Fitted sheets are designed to fit snugly over the bassinet’s mattress, helping to keep the sheet in place and preventing it from bunching up or coming loose.
- Temperature control: Fitted sheets can help to regulate the temperature in the bassinet, keeping the baby warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Stylish: Fitted sheets come in a variety of colors and patterns, allowing you to choose a style that complements the nursery’s decor.
Overall, adding fitted sheets to a bassinet can help to improve the baby’s comfort and provide a safer and more hygienic sleeping environment.
Use absorbent sheets for extra comfort
Baby’s skin is soft and delicate; hence, you should be very careful about what you put on their skin… While wrapping them up in a towel, try to use an absorbent sheet that has a simple cloth material on one side and absorbent material on the other side…
These sheets are mostly used by doctors, but now they are available in the market for everyone… This will keep your baby dry, which will add more comfort for them.
3…. Add a bumper pad
A baby bassinet should have a fitted sheet and no other bedding, such as blankets, quilts, or pillows, to reduce the risk of suffocation… However, you can make your baby’s bassinet more comfortable by adding a bumper in place of the traditional ones.
Adding bumper pads to a bassinet can improve comfort for the baby in several ways:
- Softness: Bumper pads provide a soft and comfortable surface for the baby to sleep against, helping to keep them comfortable and cozy.
- Protection: Bumper pads can protect the baby’s head and limbs from bumping against the sides of the bassinet, helping to reduce the risk of injury.
- Security: Some babies may feel more secure and comforted when they are surrounded by bumper pads, as it can create a more enclosed and cozy sleeping environment.
- Stylish: Bumper pads come in a variety of colors and patterns, allowing you to choose a style that complements the nursery’s decor.
Overall, adding bumper pads to a bassinet can help to improve the baby’s comfort and provide a safer and more secure sleeping environment.
4…. Hang a mobile above
Some bassinets have built-in mobiles, but if yours doesn’t then you can always hang one up yourself… The fun colors and shapes will entertain babies, and they’ll be great to look at while they drift off to sleep.
5…. Use breathable sheets
If you’re using sheets in your bassinet, make sure they’re breathable and soft so that baby is as comfortable as possible… If you’re using a waterproof layer underneath these sheets (which we would recommend) use an absorbent cotton sheet on top of that so that the moisture stays away from the baby’s skin.
6…. Create a cozy nest
You can keep babies super cozy by adding layers of cotton blankets around them in their bassinet, with only their heads peeking out… Just make sure that they’re not too hot or cold.
7…. Check the mattress
The mattress in a baby bassinet is firm and covered with a waterproof pad that’s not very soft… You can add another layer on top of this pad to make the mattress softer so your baby is more comfortable sleeping in it… A good choice is a memory foam pad, which is soft and keeps its shape.
The best way to make sure your baby is comfortable in his bassinet is to provide him with a firm mattress that he can sleep on… Experts recommend that you purchase a special bassinet mattress for this purpose rather than a crib mattress or other type of mattress because bassinet mattresses generally conform with the shape of the bassinet and are firmer than other types of mattresses.
8…. Add pillows
You should never place pillows in an infant’s crib or bassinet while they’re sleeping, but they’re great for playtime… When your newborn kicks their legs or waves their arms, it’s nice that they have something soft to hit… A pillow also gives them something to lean up against when they’re sitting up and playing with their toys.
9…. Choose a good-quality bassinet
If you buy a new bassinet, look for one that is sturdy and well-made… Check that it has been tested to Australian Standards AS/NZS 2195:2010 which covers safety requirements and test methods for infant health carriers, carries, and cradles… Make sure it has no sharp edges or loose parts and doesn’t rock too much when your baby moves around in it.
10…. Add a blanket or comforter
Using a comforter or blanket can be too warm for newborns, but it might be necessary if you live in an area where temperatures drop below 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius) at night… If you do add a blanket, make sure it’s light and with breathable fabric, like cotton… And always make sure that it doesn’t cover your baby’s face.
11…. Add a canopy
You can buy or create a canopy or tent for the bassinet by using some cloth so that there is shade for the baby when he or she sleeps in the daytime… This will protect him or her from direct sunlight and also provide some privacy.
12…. Breathable Bassinet Coverlet
Choose a breathable bassinet coverlet made from natural fibers such as cotton, wool, or bamboo to regulate your baby’s temperature… You can also use an additional layer at night in colder months if required, but remove it during the day if you find your baby is sweating while sleeping.
How to Make Halo Bassinet More Comfortable
The Halo Bassinet is a popular choice for parents looking for a safe and comfortable sleep space for their newborn. Here are some tips on how to make the Halo Bassinet even more comfortable for your little one:
- Use a bassinet mattress pad: A bassinet mattress pad can provide an extra layer of comfort and support for your baby. Look for one that is hypoallergenic and made from breathable materials.
- Add a bassinet wedge: A bassinet wedge can help to elevate your baby’s head and torso, which can help to reduce the risk of reflux and make breathing easier.
- Invest in a good quality fitted sheet: A fitted sheet specifically designed for the Halo Bassinet can help to keep your baby comfortable and prevent the sheet from coming loose or bunching up.
- Use a light blanket or swaddle: In cooler months, a light blanket or swaddle can help to keep your baby warm and cozy. Just be sure not to use too many layers, as newborns are more at risk of overheating.
- Adjust the bassinet’s height: The Halo Bassinet has an adjustable height feature that allows you to raise or lower the bassinet to a comfortable level for you and your baby. Experiment with different heights to find the one that works best for you.
By following these tips, you can help to ensure that your baby is comfortable and well-rested in their Halo Bassinet.
In summary, sleep is one of the most important things for your child… It allows their brain to develop and grow, and it means that you’ll have a better night’s sleep too… As you prepare for the birth of your baby, don’t forget that you’ll need to invest in a bassinet so that they have somewhere comfortable to sleep during the early months.
The bassinet is where your little one will spend most of their time, so it’s vital that they feel safe and secure while they’re sleeping.
You may also be interested in…… Is Graco A Good Brand? (Well Known & Trusted For Baby Products) and 14 Ways to Make A Pull Out Couch More Comfortable