If you want an affordable tent that will survive the wind and the rain then the Coleman Sundome Tent is one of the most amazing tents you could ever own.
The Coleman Sundome is ideal for all types of summertime camping and is one of the best tents ever for festivals. How many times have you been to a festival and it pours rain? This tent will survive better than the rest.
Here Is What Reviewers Had To Say About The Coleman Sundome Tent…
The Best 4 Person Tent For Rain!
It was super windy and was raining buckets to the point where there were inches of standing water outside the tent. Without even treating it with camp dry or any sealant, we were bone dry and cozy in this tent for five days, and we only had the rain fly on and a tarp that covered about half the tent.
- It is a freaking TANK! Been camping my whole life and never had a tent this waterproof.
- We put the tent up in a Florida thunderstorm in less than 5 minutes. I didn’t get the opportunity to spray and seam seal the tent since it was raining, but it did not leak through some very powerful Florida rainstorms.
- It rained heavily on Saturday night and throughout Sunday, and everything inside stayed perfectly dry.
- CAMPING IN THE RAIN: So I went on my first camping trip with it this past weekend and I was caught in an off-and-on torrential downpour from 10 PM at night through 9 AM the next morning and guess what? I stayed completely dry and slept very well.
- It rained for hours in the night and the next day on our last day. We were both warm and dry in our 4 people and 3 person tent and it was kind of fun to hear the rain beat hard against the tent.
- We were able to get the sides staked and tied quickly which was great because it turned into incredibly strong winds, rain, and lighting. Not only did the tent protect us from the wind and rain, but it also stayed bone dry through everything due to the great rainfly coverage and bathtub bottom.
- It also rained frequently. This tent got not a drop of water in it.
- We got a nice thunderstorm in the middle of the night complete with gusty winds and heavy rain for about 20 minutes. This tent did well and did not leak or lose integrity.
I’ve Never Had A Tent That Stayed So Dry!
This tent survived the ultimate test: A New Mexico mountain monsoon storm with 40 mph winds and driving rain. The tent did not leak one drop even though I could see a literal stream flowing under it at the height of the storm which lasted about 2 hours.
- We had 3 storms that day and rain throughout the night. The tent was dry and never leaked.
- I’ve camped with it multiple times in hard rains and haven’t felt a drop inside the tent yet.
- We’ve had a very stormy summer in western Pennsylvania with record rains. This tent stayed up through two giant thunderstorms dumping record rainfall.
- After the first storm, it was 100% dry inside!
- The first night was torrential rains and heavy winds for at least 6 hours. In the morning our tent was in one piece and completely dry inside. The other families that were in tents all had rain in their tents.
- This little tent stood up to pouring rain and high winds for two days and nights without leaking at all.
- Great to be able to stand and dress, or shelter a group of four comfortably standing during rainstorms.
- I can say that 24 hours of straight pouring rain did nothing to this tent, and I am extremely happy with my purchase.
- This tent impressed me so much because unfortunately one night just happened to be some of the worst rain I’ve ever experienced camping. Like we are talking torrential downpours but this tent was an absolute champ.
- It rained like crazy but I stayed totally dry in the tent.
The Best Tent For Wind!
Well, I just went camping and there was a serious rain and wind storm the blew tents and canopies all around except for this tent – it stayed put and the wind blew very hard and the top went up and back down where the poles stretched and I have to say that it’s the best tent that I’ve ever owned and we appreciate who made it because it kept us dry and safe.
- The tent moved around and shook through some rough ocean wind, but remained intact.
- This thing withstood strong desert winds and the Pacific Coast during two of my field schools and is still a very reliable tent.
- Once set up correctly, the wind does not blow it away easily either. Great product!
- We’ve X-ski snow camped in minus 10 F degrees from Montana, to high altitude wilderness afternoon mountain downpours, to the hot gale force winds of Southern Utah desert canyons. No leaks, no tears zero problems.
- Not only did our tent stay completely dry inside, but it also stayed in place as we braced 30mph wind gusts. I would recommend this tent to anyone looking for a stress-free camping trip!
- We’ve camped in it in the rain, wind, and snow and it has held up just fine.
- I went camping this past weekend with the boy scouts with this tent. I absolutely love it. We had winds up to 35 mph, thunder and lightning with heavy rain. This little tent withstood it all.
- Took it camping in Wyoming where the winds are bad & held up well.
- I have used it in high winds and rain and it’s held up like a champ.
- This one is made very well, endures rain and strong winds without any issues (no water leaking inside at all), and looks great.
VERY WATER RESISTANT… It Rained Pretty Heavily One Night, But Nothing Inside Got Wet!
During the two week period we had a severe thunderstorm with very heavy rains and strong winds (30-40mph) the tent held up great and kept all of my gear dry.
- This thing has been in some pretty heavy rain and I woke up nice and dry.
- It rained all weekend. I mean it POURED and this sucker kept us dry.
- Coleman for your quality! 6 girls + 3 bags slept in 4 person tent and stayed dry during heavy rain all night.
- We had rain one night – no leaks, no dampness problems. We were nice and dry, despite heavy rain.
- Even though it rained all night, ours was the only tent in our group that didn’t have any issues with getting wet.
- During camping, the torrential rains did not penetrate into the tent at all. It is very well manufactured.
- The little breeze vents are nice but the thing that has wowed me the most is how great it is at keeping out the rain.
- Also – it rained for 3 days straight and not a single drop of water got into the tent.
- The first time we used this tent we got it set up minutes before the rain started. It rained very hard for about 12 hours. We and all of our gear stayed dry all night!
- To my surprise, the first night of the ride it absolutely POURED rain. While many people had leaky roofs or corners of their tents, I was cozily tucked away under my tent’s rainfly, with not a single drop on me.
The Coleman Tent Is Very Rain Proof… We Slept In A Downpour And Got Not A Drop On Us!
Then! In the middle of the night, it POURED for hours, serious rain. My friend’s tents turned into swimming pools and they had to cram into their cars to sleep. My kids and I didn’t get a drop of water on us. This tent stayed 100% dry inside. What an incredible tent! I’m so in love and this is our reliable, family tent from now on!
- Our first-night camping with this tent, it poured rain all night. This tent handled it like a champ.
- It rained several days that I used this and I can report that I stayed nice and dry inside.
- Handled two nights and a day of unexpected rain awesomely. Didn’t get a drop inside at all.
- It rained several times while we were out and the tent had no leaks, even in a downpour.
- We got stuck in a horrible rain and wind storm and never had a drop of water leak in.
- During the time camping, it rained almost every afternoon, and the tent never leaked.
- The great thing is that it survived two nasty rainstorms back to back without any wanter let in.
- We were in California when a thunderstorm came through and it rained all night. We woke up dry and outside the tent was about 3 inches of standing water all over!
- It rained hard the first night and we stayed completely dry.
- I took it camping over the weekend and it rained EVERY DAY. Everyone else’s tent let water in and got everything soaking wet, except mine!!
- Everything stayed dry even though there was heavy rain every afternoon! Very impressed and happy to keep everything dry.
- If you’re looking for a durable, and waterproof tent, look no further!
The Rain Guard Kept The Tent Completely Dry!
I went around our campsite advertising this tent just because it was so dry when that rain hit! Only tent on the campground to stay completely dry. Im telling you its really that awesome.
- We used the rain cover, we got rain one of the nights and we had no issues with leaks.
- The first time in this tent and we had a four-hour thunderstorm with tons of rain – not ONE drip in the tent.
- I mean it was downpours of rain for 2-3 hours. Bone dry inside. Wouldn’t buy any other tent.
- It rained the first night we used the tent but with the tarp and rainfall, we were completely dry inside.
- And on our trip, it rained (of course). Soaking rain that lasted for several hours. The tent did not leak even a LITTLE bit. My daughter slept through the whole thing.
- It also rained the WHOLE NIGHT, and this tent kept us completely dry!
- On the last night of the trip, we were caught in heavy constant rain. I was very pleasantly surprised to awake to find myself completely dry.
- There were severe thunderstorms and torrential downpours for about 6 hours straight. We stayed completely dry the rain tarp works like a charm.
- The other camper’s tents were leaking and blowing away while ours remained intact and I slept right through some of the storms.
- It poured rain all night. The next morning it was still raining and I crawled around on the floor looking to see how much water came in during the night. Literally, not one drop leaked in.
A Tent That Is Easy To Put Up!
As someone who has grown up camping this is pretty much your standard tent design in terms of set up. I ended up at the campsite well after dark and had a veteran camper along with a friend who doesn’t tent camp often for helping me set it up to which it took us less than 5 minutes to put up. Super easy and does not require instructions if you’ve ever put up a tent like it before.
- This tent is very easy to set up (I did it practically by myself). There are instructions on the bag, but I didn’t find them necessary at all. Pretty straightforward setup, really.
- This was my very first time setting up a tent and camping out with 2 kids and 2 dogs in tow, and it took me just 15 minutes to set up the tent.
- Set up took 15 minutes from start to finish for a tent newbie like me with some help from one kid.
- It was also very simple to set up and tear down by myself.
- Extremely easy to set up! You really can do it in minutes. I took my time with it while having a beer though, so maybe 10-20 minutes for me.
- Easy to set up (comes with detailed instructions, but if you’ve ever put up a tent before you will figure it out even without those).
- It takes 15 minutes to set up and 10 to take down.
- The tent is great for easy and fast set up! No over-reaching involved here!
- It’s very easy to set up and take down and Coleman sewed the directions into the carrying bag so they will never be lost.
- Only Took Us, Newbies, 15 Min To Set Up.
- We thought we’d have a difficult time setting it up since neither one of us had ever set up a tent, but it literally took like 5 minutes, and the directions are easy to follow.
- Let me qualify this review by saying I’ve never been camping and haven’t slept in a tent before this! Nonetheless, the tent is cute and super easy to set up.
- The instructions are inside the bag and easy to follow. Took me about 10 minutes to set up.
The Best 4 Man Tent With Standing Room!
Is there headroom to stand? Yes, PLENTY of head room and probably the roomiest tent I have owned to date. I’m 5’5″ and even with a small hanging light I got for the top of the tent I still had an arms reach above worth of room. Closer to the walls obviously it’s a bit shorter but I did not feel the slightest bit restricted like a normal small tent has.
- I am 5’9 and can stand up in the middle of the tent which is great for changing and stretching in the morning.
- Plus, bonus points for being super easy to set up, and tall enough to stand in!
- I loved that even my friend that is about 6’4″ could easily stand up in the center of the tent.
- Great to be able to stand and dress, or shelter a group of four comfortably standing during rainstorms.
- I’m 6 feet tall and can stand and move comfortably in this tent which is a blessing.
- The inside is large enough for our 2 cots and then room to stand in the middle to change clothes. I’m 6′ and wanted plenty of headroom.
- We were able to fit a child air mattress and an adult air mattress inside and still had room for clothing bags, food boxes, and shoes, etc. We were also able to still stand and change clothes as well.
- I am 6 ft tall and can even stand up in the center of this tent.
- He’s 6’2 and could stand comfortably in the center.
- I’m 5’11 and was able to stand up with no problem.
- Being able to stand up to dress was appealing too.
- It was quite a bit larger than I was expecting and it is also very tall, so changing was easy since you can very nearly stand straight up in the tent.
The Ideal Tent For Festivals!
For the price you are not going to find a better tent. I spent the weekend at a music festival and it rained most of the weekend. The tent was sitting in 2 inches of water but the bottom didn’t leak at all….. unlike most of my friends’ tents. The walls didn’t leak either. Hands down the best tent that I have owned.
- I got this for a camping festival, and for as cheap as it was, it was amazing.
- It didn’t rain while I used it but it’s perfect for camping festivals.
- I used this for music festivals all summer and it held up very well through wind and rain!
- It lasted me all festival season, I’m hoping it lasts for years to come.
- I was skeptical at the low price of this tent- but two music festivals and a few small camping trips later- I’m beyond satisfied, and would purchase this tent again if I needed to—- but no need to because its easy design and sturdy construction give me the impression I’ll be living out of this tent again next festival season.
- Great tent for car camping, festival camping, beach camping, or any time you don’t want to bring a large, complicated tent with you.
- I took this to a Bluegrass festival for three days on Oahu. The first time I have slept in a tent in over thirty years, but this tent was fine.
- Originally purchased this tent for a music festival. Single-handedly set it up in a matter of minutes. A spacious and solid tent that has been holding up well.
- I have used it for multiple festivals and camping trips, including downpours and very windy beach camping.
- We got this for a rave festival and have used it many times after for other festies.
- When I went to a music festival it down poured for 2 days straight and the inside of my tent stayed completely dry.
- I bought this looking for a tent I could use for causal weekend camping and music festivals, and I got exactly what I was looking for!
Great Family Tent For Car Camping!
We have owned tons of tents and this is the MOST PERFECT tent for Florida car camping. IT is very sturdy. Held up WAY Better than all of our friends tents in the rain as the bottom folds up and keeps the floods out. The rain fly works wonderfully.
- This tent is the perfection of car camping. A huge tent in a pretty compact size. This tent is not light (compared to backpacking tents) and would be really hard to carry into the woods but if your car is located within 100 yards of where you are sleeping then this is perfect.
- The tent itself is relatively light-weighted and easy to carry, small enough to put into our car trunk.
- We got this tent for 2 people because we mostly go camping by car and we like to have more space in the tent for luggage and other stuff.
- I usually don’t take the time to write reviews, but this tent is awesome. I’m in my third summer car camping around Yellowstone and outlying areas. Each year I had it out for 20ish days.
- It’s a bit heavy for backpacking, I’d recommend for car camping type situations.
- This tent is great for car camping and also backyard camping if you have kids.
- I got it for car camping and it works perfectly for that.
- Temper your expectations a little bit, and this is a really good tent. I bought this for car camping, and it works well.
- Great value for car camping!
- It is the perfect car camping tent for a family of 3 or 4 who camps a few weekends throughout the year.
- This tent is excellent for doing some quick car camping.
Best Tent For Beach Camping!
I have a private beach club, My idea is to set up these tents on the beach for rentals. Not knowing the products or their quality I purchased several different tents here on Amazon ranging from $22.00 – $50. This Coleman outshines the competition by far.
- I haven’t seen any signs of wear on it and I’ve also used it at the beach. We have a family of 5 and we all fit in it very comfortably.
- We’ve used it three times for beach camping now. It’s very easy to set up and there’s a ton of room inside.
- The tent is very secure it gets windy on the beach so it held up perfectly. The zipper entrance is easy to use.
- We bought this tent for a cross country trip in August 2017. Camped in deserts, beaches, forests, etc. This tent held up great and was very easy to set up.
- It stayed up well during an overnight at the beach where the wind was heavy.
- Amazing and came in handy during our beach visit with the little one. It was bought when planned for a picnic with the little one but used when went to the beach. This is very easy to set up and dismantle.
- This tent performed perfectly on a 5 night trip to the beach!
- I LOVE this tent. It held up really well while camping on the beach for 3 days, and we got quite a bit of wind.
- We used it at the beach on a windy day and it stayed put nicely with the stakes that are included.
- This thing is amazing. I’ve taken it in the woods, in the rain, and on the beach (super windy and cold at night).
- I spent the weekend on Carolina Beach for the annual Jeep weekend. At one point the wind was crazy bad and the tent took it like a champ.
- This tent is awesome. Recently went beach camping and it rained on us for 2 days straight. We got some hardcore NC coastal rain with some gusts of wind. This tent held up amazingly.
Tent With A Place To Hang A Lantern!
Nice that you can stand up in at as well and has a loop for hanging a lantern inside.
- There is a little “ring” at the center of the ceiling, to hang a small light.
- I like being able to hang a camping light at the top of the tent.
- This tent has a small loop in the center of the tent to allow you to hang a small light.
- There are side pockets on the inside, and there’s placement to hang a lantern from the center on the inside for light at night.
- The small ring on the ceiling of the tent worked nicely for hanging a lantern from as well.
- I was able to hang my lantern (with the weight of three D-cells inside) without trouble.
- Two pockets for cell phones, a place to hang your lantern, a light one.
- It has 2 storage pockets one on each side, a loop hanging from the roof to attach a D ring, and a light.
- There are side pockets on the inside, and there’s placement to hang a lantern from the center on the inside for light at night.
- I like the pockets on the sides and the loop to hang a light from at the peak.
- Buy a battery-powered fan lantern to hang from the inside loop on the ceiling, it’s perfect.
Best Camping Tent For The Money!
I finally upgraded a lot of my camping gear and the Sundome was the best desision I made-I did a lot of research, many people feel like they need to get the biggest thing like the Taj Mahal, but simplicity and quality seemed to be overlooked.
- Best tent for the money! Spacious and we use it for all the Boy Scout camp outings! Pretty easy to put up too!
- Of the products I bought for camping, this was EASILY the best.
- Great for all-season camping! Best Value and Quality.
- Best bang for your buck out there! Been on 5 camping trips since purchasing, 3 of which were pouring the entire time and this tent held up PERFECTLY!
- I went for the 4 person tent. I have to say, that was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.
- This tent made us the envy of the campground.
- The best tent I have ever had and I have had a lot.
- Perfect camping tent for our scout camping trips.
- I like camping and this tent is best for the price and quality.
- Best amazon purchase ever! Great value, I have used this tent all summer on many camping trips and it is still in perfect condition!
- Hands down this have got to be the best tent for the money.
- Best purchase! We have the tallest and roomiest tent compared to our friends.
Great Summer Tent With Good Ventilation And Privacy!
The tent has really nice interior windows/zipper blinds -a must for me, I like to be able to see out and control privacy and ventilation without taking the rain fly on and off. It also has a lower vent in the back as part of the rain fly. Nice and private allowing for ventilation.
- There are two huge mesh panels on the top of the tent, which is great for ventilation.
- This tent has tons of ventilation– even a little vent in the bottom on the back.
- Tall tent, great for warm weather, LOTS of space!
- I love the fact that this tent has two windows for ventilation and to view out… there are not many tents these days with that feature
- The tent is well ventilated – I like the floor vent because I live in the desert and need the air.
- What I like the most about this tent is the ventilation system.
- There are nice vents on the top half of the tent but on hot nights you need something more. So on this tent, there is a base vent that can be opened with a zipper. This brings cool up from the bottom and helps push hot air from the top. Definitely a plus in my book.
- LOTS of ventilation, which is super amazing.
- The tent is well-ventilated and was cozy in the 60-degree weather.
- It was pretty hot the first day we got there and after setting up the tent, there was plenty of ventilation.
- The mesh/screen top of the tent gives you good ventilation, and the rain fly gives you privacy plus rain cover.
- This tent is a great summer tent with all four walls being mesh. We had plenty of ventilation and cross breezes.
- I can say the tent ventilation was good. It was hot and humid with a bit of a breeze. The breeze was definitely welcome when in the tent!
The Coleman Sundome Tent Even Keeps The Bugs Out!
We camp in a very buggy area and it’s a pro at keeping bugs out, even with small children flying in and out of the “door”
- The zippers functioned well and the netting worked keeping the bugs out.
- No bugs got in the entire night.
- The mesh kept the bugs out and also allowed for a breeze as the windows are very large.
- We did not share the tent with any bugs either.
- The tent was nice and airy and was great at keeping bugs out.
- You don’t have to worry about bugs and little creatures getting in.
- The tent is lightweight and keeps the bugs out.
- Every opening including the door flap has screen netting to keep bugs out and even tinted pretty good to keep shaded from the sun!
- It kept out all of the creepy bugs so this city girl was happy.
- When it was sunny outside it had good ventilation without letting the bugs in, which allowed us to sleep very well.
- Amazing tent! Has nets everywhere so that fresh air can be let inside, not a single bug got in. Each net can also be closed up whenever.
- I like the mesh netting for airflow and protection from bugs!
- Nice air mesh sides that allowed the nightly breeze to enter while keeping bugs out.
- It withstood the light rain we had very well and the vented zip down windows was definitely a plus to let the breeze in without the unwanted bugs. Perfect for a weekend getaway.
The 4 Person Tent Comfortably Fits A Queen Size Air Mattress!
I fit a queen size air mattress inside with room to spare, but I think this would be a tight fit for 4 people.
- The 4 person tent is 9ft by 7ft and it fitted an Intex Queen Mattress that I inflated in 15 min with a handpump.
- Perfect for two people camping over a weekend. We fit a queen air mattress and a Rubbermaid storage bin in it with no problem.
- You can fit two full-size air mattresses, or a queen plus a twin.
- A queen-sized air mattress will fit inside the tent if desired, with a little room to spare.
- There was plenty of space for the two of us and the queen air mattress fit fine with enough room for our bags on the side.
- It easily accommodates 2 adults w/ Queen air mattress and some gear.
- A small little tent that can fit a queen air mattress and a bit more wiggle room for your stuff. So it comfortably fits 2 grown adults and a 40lb dog (she had her bed at the foot of our air mattress).
- We had a Coleman queen size mattress along with our stuff and we were comfortable.
- The twin size leaves a decent amount of room on both sides – I can see why people are putting doubles and queens in here; it’s very tempting.
- We had a queen air bed and a dog in the tent with plenty more room for storage, totes, bags, etc.
In summary, what an amazing tent the Coleman Sundome Tent is for the price. It has to be one of the best value for quality products of all time… let alone for tents!
This brand also features here… Camping Brands: Good, Excellent, Amazing & Mind-Boggling Brands
There are so many good things campers have to say about it.
The Coleman Sundome really stands out from among the other tents when it comes to withstanding the wind and rain.
So many have put this tent to the test in wet weather and it does not leak and other tents will blow away long before this one even moves.
It has great ventilation, you can view the scenery through the windows while at the same time guarding your privacy, it is a tall tent with plenty of stand up room for getting changed easily, it is also very easy to set up, keeps the bugs out, and you can even hang a lantern inside as well.
The only thing I would recommend is to go one size bigger than you think you will need.
So if there are 2 of you go for a 3 or 4 person size tent – this way you will have plenty of room for beds and other camping gear.
You really can’t go wrong with a Coleman tent!!
Another article worth reading… Is Ogio A Good Brand? (High Ratings For Golf Bags & Backpacks) and Is Coleman A Good Brand For Tents?