Just like any appliance that uses electricity, a battery that is used too often, or not used often enough, will lose its power.
The same thing will happen if the battery is left in a car that is not used for months at a time. The battery will slowly lose its charge, and the car will not crank when it is needed the most.
This is where the automatic battery float charger comes in handy. It is used to keep the battery charged and ready to go, and it can be left to charge all the time, or it can be used when needed.
An automatic battery float charger is a circuit that continuously charges a secondary battery, such as a battery used as a backup power source for security systems.
The charger monitors the voltage of the battery and continually adjusts the charging current in response to the charging and discharging of the battery.
The charger may also adjust for changes in the supply voltage and temperature. In the event of a power failure, the charger will switch to battery power and maintain the battery at its fully charged state.
Also called an intelligent charger, an automatic battery float charger uses advanced technology to monitor and recharge such batteries over a long period, thereby making them last longer.
An automatic floating charger is the best way to go if you want to keep your battery at the ready in case of an emergency, or if you don’t have the time to tend to your battery manually to make sure it stays charged.
This provides a long term storage solution. Currently, there are two types of battery float chargers available on the market. A “smart charger” and a “trickle charger”.
The Smart Float Charger is a newer type of battery float charger that is faster and more efficient. It uses sensor and microprocessor technology to convert a standard outlet into a safe, high current charger.
Sometimes to appreciate what something can do is by seeing how others are others are using it. So below I have listed the best selling Smart Floating Charger with comments from customers explaining what this tool does…
LST Trickle Battery Charger Automatic Maintainer 6V 12V Smart Float Charger for Automotive Car Motorcycle Lawn Mower Tractor
From The Reviews:
We use this charger to charge our kid’s power wheels, and it works great. We throw this charger on after they’ve ridden, and the next morning they are ready to go again.
- I’m using it on my boat batteries and on a car I don’t currently drive.
- This has double the amps as the battery tender jr, good for larger motorcycle batteries, I even use it on my truck and jeep.
- I use it to charge the 22 amp motorcycle battery that I have in my little girl’s jeep power wheel.
- I bought two of these and may buy more. I use them to maintain the batteries on seldom used vehicles.
- I’ve used it on 3 different motorcycles and it worked great.
- Using it currently to keep my battery up to charge in my seldom-used “toad” that sits in the drive waiting for a chance to get pulled behind my RV.
- I use these on the gasoline engines ( from mower and ATV to autos) and the bigger model on our diesel equipment. All work flawlessly!
- It keeps my 12v riding mower battery 100% charged 100% of the time.
- I use this on my RV battery in the offseason.
- It’s ensuring my confidence and security in the ability to use my tractor every day,
- I bought this product to maintain a charge of the battery of one of my cars. It was easy to use and hook up and it’s doing an outstanding job maintaining the battery.
- Easy to use, from motorcycle battery to dual dodge diesel batteries. Keeps them ready for use.
- Bought this charger for maintaining battery’s on ATV and riding mower.
It Is Very Easy To Use!
From The Reviews:
Super easy to use and 12hrs later the lawnmower cranks right up. Not a bad purchase and saved us some money.
- Easy to hook up and use. Simple to use and worked well.
- Very easy to use, everything is automatic.
- I like how easy to operate this thing. Just simple plug and plus. No-fuss about clicking buttons or interpreting the LED meaning
- As a single female, this device was easy for me to figure out how to use.
- These battery chargers work great, and the indicators are easy to understand.
- Easy to follow instructions, very easy settings/connections – and let it do its thing.
- Compact and easy to use at a good price point.
- Using this was easy and the information lights tell you just when it is fully charged.
- Very easy to use and works like a charm!
- A great little tool that is inexpensive but does the job.
- Charges battery, keeps it charged, and lets you know if the battery is bad.
- Even smart enough to tell you if you were too dumb to hook the battery upright!
Features Of The LST Trickle Battery Charger
The automatic float charger regulator maintains the proper voltage for charging and extending your battery life. It prevents excessive gassing and short circuit.
- When it is not in use, or during the off-season, the automatic float charger will keep 6V&12V pb/sla/gel/agm/lead-acid batteries at full charge.
- When your battery reaches full charge, it stops charging.
- Perfect for long periods of storage.
- Start using your car or other vehicles when you want and feel good knowing that the battery is ready to go.
- Its slim, lightweight design takes up minimal space on your vehicle’s electrical device.
- The trickle charger automatically turns off when the battery is full, and voltage is adjustable for a ‘set it and forget it’ type of charger that works while you’re away.
ULTRA-SAFE: This automatic float charger is an intelligent, microprocessor-controlled, safe, and reliable product that offers added protection against reverse polarity, short circuit, over-voltage/current, overload and overheat.
- For added safety and guaranteed vehicle battery protection, an automatic five-stage charger safeguards the charge on all types of batteries.
- AN Intuitive LED indicator shows you the process and the charging status of your battery.
- The automatic switch design makes it hassle-free to use.
- Low power consumption: The unit can automatically convert to trickle charge, longer service life. As the power-saving charger is using new technology to decrease the standby power, it’
In summary, when it comes to automatic battery trickle chargers for automotive, motorcycles, automobile, riding lawn mowers, lawn tractor, ATVs, RVs, watercraft, power sport, scooter, snowmobiles, cars, camper, trolling motor, boats, etc, there’s no better choice than the LST Trickle Battery Charger Automatic Maintainer.
This is an electronic device that’s made to maintain the proper charging level of a flooded lead-acid battery. Once the device has been installed, it doesn’t require any human intervention for it to do its job.
It doesn’t require anything from you except to connect the battery to the charger and to plug the charger into an AC outlet.
What is Reverse Polarity?
Reverse polarity is basically putting things into a battery or charger backward. All batteries are designed to work with a voltage input that is NOT the reverse polarity of the battery.
So if you hook up a battery charger to a battery in reverse, your battery will be damaged, and the charger will be damaged. The battery is designed to take in a charge in one direction, and when you hook it up backward, it will damage the battery.
The charger, on the other hand, will be damaged when you hook it up the wrong way because the charger is designed to take charge in one direction.
You don’t have to worry about this with clever LST Trickle Battery Charger Automatic Maintainer because it is smart enough to tell you if you have hooked it up wrong and it won’t allow you to proceed.
So… Why Do You Need A Floating Battery Charger?
An automatic, maintenance-free battery float charger can extend the life of your car, motorcycle, truck, and other power sports batteries by keeping them fully charged with little or no maintenance.
Over time, a battery’s charge will naturally deteriorate because it isn’t being used.
The float charging technique is a great way to keep storage batteries fully charged without having to deal with lead-sulfate build-up, which might otherwise occur if the battery were left in a low state of charge.
An automatic battery float charger is a fantastic idea and the smart way to keep your batteries charged, especially for all of the equipment that you put away for winter hibernation.
When spring comes around you will have no worries about flat batteries and just start up again where you left off.
You may also be interested in… Is Falken Tires A Good Brand? (All-Terrain & All-Season Tires), Is Ego A Good Brand? (#1 Battery Operated Outdoor Power Tools) and Is Kobalt A Good Brand?